• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pets

Well, this evening is a mixed bag of feelings ... Bella our 13yr-old english bull terrier passed away in my arms ... she's been suffering with a bad heart for a few months and this evening was her time to go over the rainbow bridge .. She had a good innings with us and she will be sorely missed .. just dropped her of to the vets to be cremated and returned to us to take pride of place along with Harvey and lola .. :(
Matt so sorry to hear about Bella. As you say she had a good life with a family who loved her, and at the end of the day that’s what these Junior citizens really care about. She passed in your arms. Loved to the end.

Alan

Since a month or two have passed and he is fully recovered, here’s the unfortunate results of The Boys battle with a large wild boar. He brought it down with a bloody throat grip and dispelled the beast, but it got tusks into him first. Luckily it missed major arteries.

Now completely healed!

Alan
IMG_1268.jpeg

Since a month or two have passed and he is fully recovered, here’s the unfortunate results of The Boys battle with a large wild boar. He brought it down with a bloody throat grip and dispelled the beast, but it got tusks into him first. Luckily it missed major arteries.

Now completely healed!

Alan View attachment 160397
Feral wild boar can be nasty, some of them are huge and can be really mean. I’m glad the boy is recovering well. I’m guessing he’s formed a real dislike of boar. I know it’s not really your ethos Allan but I would seriously consider thinning their numbers since they’re non native… lots of bacon butties would be a sweet revenge for the boy.

Brave and fearless lad.......so pleased for you and him that he won the day in the end.

Good to hear he has healed well........bless him. :) :thumbsup:

Feral wild boar can be nasty, some of them are huge and can be really mean. I’m glad the boy is recovering well. I’m guessing he’s formed a real dislike of boar. I know it’s not really your ethos Allan but I would seriously consider thinning their numbers since they’re non native… lots of bacon butties would be a sweet revenge for the boy.
Mike

That stoush between The Boy and the old boar was quite unprecedented. He gets on fine with our local swine and has actually befriended a few young ones. The events that led to the fight in March involved a large boar from a neighbouring property that was sheltering in a cave that my wife and I inadvertently entered.

The old Tusker was much bigger than him and at least double his weight with long curved tusks. In the cave it was back to the wall, and threatening. We were just on a family walk and so I was not carrying a firearm. The Boy perceived a threat to his mum, and followed his instincts.

You are correct I do not blast away at pigs like many of my neighbours. I recognise them as intelligent and sensitive creatures, with strong family bonds.

The only time I drop a few is when a group start digging holes in the airstrip foraging for roots. That is a hazard to landing aircraft so I have to drive them off. I’ll knock over a couple of boar and that usually sends the group back down the escarpment.

Compared to surrounding country we have a low density of hogs. True they spread weeds, but so do native animals and birds. Call me an old softie, but when you see those cute piglets you wouldn’t want to kill or injure them. They’re probably as intelligent as The Boy.

Your words are true, and if we had a major porcine problem I’d act but we don’t have a major problem at present.

Here’s The Boy with a young piglet mate.
IMG_1208.jpeg

Cheers

Alan

Last edited:
Mike

That stoush between The Boy and the old boar was quite unprecedented. He gets on fine with our local swine and has actually befriended a few young ones. The events that led to the fight in March involved a large boar from a neighbouring property that was sheltering in a cave that my wife and I inadvertently entered.

The old Tusker was much bigger than him and at least double his weight with long curved tusks. In the cave it was back to the wall, and threatening. We were just on a family walk and so I was not carrying a firearm. The Boy perceived a threat to his mum, and followed his instincts.

You are correct I do not blast away at pigs like many of my neighbours. I recognise them as intelligent and sensitive creatures, with strong family bonds.

The only time I drop a few is when a group start digging holes in the airstrip foraging for roots. That is a hazard to landing aircraft so I have to drive them off. I’ll knock over a couple of boar and that usually sends the group back down the escarpment.

Compared to surrounding country we have a low density of hogs. True they spread weeds, but so do native animals and birds. Call me an old softie, but when you see those cute piglets you wouldn’t want to kill or injure them. They’re probably as intelligent as The Boy.

Your words are true, and if we had a major porcine problem I’d act but we don’t have a major problem at present.

Here’s The Boy with a young piglet mate.View attachment 160420

Cheers

Alan
I’m just glad you’re all ok.

Back