• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pets

Will take any advice anyone has to give. So far today he's done well with a collar, hates a lead, I take him out to pee and he just sits in the grass looking daft at me

🤢🤢🤢 lucky I live in a flat then 😉

They work well with sounds jon, unique sounds for different commands, whistles also…. If you can walk him with the lead behind your back so he’s always walking behind you…. Best to get him in his place as quickly as possible especially with a collie as you will probably find out mate lol , amazing dogs but they have a very strong Will lol

Will take any advice anyone has to give. So far today he's done well with a collar, hates a lead, I take him out to pee and he just sits in the grass looking daft at me

🤢🤢🤢 lucky I live in a flat then 😉
Lots of patience while outside, only going back once he has performed his duty.…taking him out any time he eats, drinks, wakes up or looks like he wants to move. He will have a tiny bladder and it’ll take him a while to learn how to control it and where it’s acceptable for him to pee. There’s no point getting upset or annoyed if he makes a mistake…shit happens. Praise him when he gets it right, sad voice if he gets it wrong but telling him off is pointless at that age. He will learn very quickly if you keep it simple for him and give him every opportunity. Personally I’m against puppy pads as they‘ll just confuse the issue of where he is allowed to go.
We cut up or mince cheap raw chicken portions for young puppies because it works out slight cheaper and since it doesn’t have all the additives and fillers in it the pups produce smaller firmer poos. (Easier to pick up) We then go onto giving them raw chicken wings, then raw chicken thigh/drumstick portions as they get their second set of teeth.

Last edited:
To be honest I really shouldn’t give tips on training dogs as my two are ars…..hols and that’s more of a reflection of me not them 😂😂

Am sure you’ll be fine jon with training the young chap and Mike’s advice is spot on 👍🏻

New member of the family arrived today😁
I know in recent months I've been talking about GSD and GSP type dogs, but an opportunity arose 3 days ago, and I took it.

So this my border collie, Merlin 😊
He's 10 weeks old, from working stock and just adorable 😍
Had him since 10 am today.

View attachment 116539View attachment 116540View attachment 116541View attachment 116542View attachment 116543
How unkind can you be? Fancy making that beautiful puppy share a cage with a child :p

I want one of these.
361582BD-52D7-4548-BC6C-3DB51DD5DD1F.png

Hey Mike at first glance I thought that was a Praying Mantis. We have lots around the place, some longer than your hand and that same colour.

Very gentle and beautiful but not really pets though. More a nuisance!

What I'd really like is some kind of Pachyderm. Damn that CITIES treaty! I could give one a great home.

Absolutely true. About 10 years ago some hunters mistakenly shot a pigmy Hippopotamus living in a waterhole on the property next door to mine. How did an African pigmy Hippo get there? Are there others? Is it a breeding population? Nobody knows... The skeleton is now held at the Territory museum.

I'd love a Pachyderm....

Alan

How unkind can you be? Fancy making that beautiful puppy share a cage with a child :p
Collies in particular need a quiet space for down time, a crate is ideal for this and should be treated as a safe space and not a punishment. Feeding and praising the puppy in the crate can help the puppy associate the crate with good things, when the puppy’s bladder control is more trustworthy the crate can be left open. Chewy toys or a bone for when they’re teething can also make the crate more attractive to him.

Collies in particular need a quiet space for down time, a crate is ideal for this and should be treated as a safe space and not a punishment. Feeding and praising the puppy in the crate can help the puppy associate the crate with good things, when the puppy’s bladder control is more trustworthy the crate can be left open. Chewy toys or a bone for when they’re teething can also make the crate more attractive to him.
My Lab sleeps in her crate and needs no encouragement to go into it late in the evening. I get the impression that she sees it as some kind of security blanket because that's where she headed as soon as the fireworks started going off last month

Our Border Collie had her own fireside type chair in the other room and when she got too old to climb on it I cut the legs off the chair.
That's a good move, after all she's a member of the family and deserves to be treated as such. My little Megs favourite spot is to lay on Wendys coat which has a fluffy collar

Back