• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pickled Ramson buds

Paul N

Site Manager
Staff member
Depending where you live the Ramson may have flower buds on them at the moment. I picked a load two weeks ago but I was bit early, by now the plants will be smothered in them. They taste good as they are and are a good addition to a salad but they pickle very well and taste scrummy!
All you do it pack them into a screw-topped jar (after rinsing them under the tap) and add a 50/50 mixture of cider or white wine vinegar and water, right to the brim. Then screw on the lid. I like to add some salt, about a half teaspoon to 250 millilitre of fluid. Some recipes call for sugar too, but this is not to my taste. They will keep in the fridge for about 6 months in my experience.

Paul you say Ramson flower buds - do you mean the flowers once opened or the buds before flowering? Sorry mate just not 100 percent on the wording??

It doesn’t really matter too much Gary, the whole thing is edible but the buds/flowers are the most subtle tasting part of the plant. I’ve eaten Ramson leaves and root (I was removing it from the garden rather than foraging, in the wild you’re not allowed to lift the roots under the wildlife and countryside act) and I seemed to be exuding the smell of garlic from my pores for the next three days.
Thanks to Paul I’m also seeing “Jack by the hedge” everywhere I go with it’s slightly more subtle garlic mustard taste 😋

Last edited:
As Mike has said, the whole plant is edible so it doesn't really matter. However, what I meant was the flower buds before they open.
DSC_0088.JPG
This is a jar I pickled a couple of weeks ago.

Back