• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pickling Eggs.

I like it Keith! I am a big fan of pickled eggs,especially having fowls!
I a!ways find it interesting that Americans won't trust the work the vinegar does to preserve the eggs,and insist on refrigeration too.

Your recipe would certainly not gone in a fridge 240 years ago!

My own method is simplicity itself.Clean hands.Boil,peel and cool the eggs, pack into sterilised jars,add seasoning of choice ( I like a little onion and dry chilli),cover with distilled vinegar ( straight from the bottle),cover eggs completely and pop the lid on.Store in a cool ,dark pantry.Done!

And I have been following links into that 18th Century cooking channel- very interesting .Thanks.

I like it Keith! I am a big fan of pickled eggs,especially having fowls!
I a!ways find it interesting that Americans won't trust the work the vinegar does to preserve the eggs,and insist on refrigeration too.

Your recipe would certainly not gone in a fridge 240 years ago!

My own method is simplicity itself.Clean hands.Boil,peel and cool the eggs, pack into sterilised jars,add seasoning of choice ( I like a little onion and dry chilli),cover with distilled vinegar ( straight from the bottle),cover eggs completely and pop the lid on.Store in a cool ,dark pantry.Done!

And I have been following links into that 18th Century cooking channel- very interesting .Thanks.
I think I will try your recipe Alanm, couldn't be simpler:thumbsup:
I don't just favour 18th century equipment & foods etc because I am a living historian, I favour them because they work & have done so for the past 300 years. I do not discount everything modern, but I think primitive methods are hard to beat.
Thanks for commenting & thank you for sharing you recipe.
Keith.

I wouldn't call that a primitive method to be fair.Pickling is pickling,as long as the vinegar is the correct acidity.

Try Chinese Marbled Eggs..Take some boiled Eggs and gently crack the shells all over. Brew a good strong pot of Tea and let it go cold.....put eggs into cold Tea and leave overnight......when you peel them they have a "Marbling"effect under the shell were the tea has stained the Egg White......pretty:rolleyes:

Back