• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

picogrill, tried it?

teef

Slightly Addicted
specifically looking at the picogrill 239:

recently watched a review on the 'Tube and thought it sounded pretty good:

180g for a large (7 inch) burn space sounds sweet, need to hear that the thin stainless can stand prolonged burns though.

Looks good , very light in comparison to fire box et al ........
Agreed that warping might be an issue with prolonged burning ...... :thumbsup:

Just watched some YouTube videos, must say, I'm not a fan, way to many holes with flames lickng out everywhere, nice concept though.

Hi Teef.

Just a thought.....If you don't want an out and out Firebox.......would something like this do the job for you?
It is made from Titanium and also comes in a stainless steel model.
Small and very packable not too heavy in either make up.....possible multi fuel use.

There are a few saying that one of the corners tends to open up a bit......but looking at it....it would be an easy mod to fix that......if you felt the need.

Like I said.....just a thought for you :thumbsup:

At minute 7:40 of that review he is sawing wood. Why do people always hold the piece of wood that they're sawing on the wrong side of the cut?:rolleyes: At minute 8:43 he is carving wood with a survival knife against his thigh next to his femoral artery. :eek:
The grill looks like the mutt's nuts though.

Just a thought.....If you don't want an out and out Firebox.......would something like this do the job for you? ...
@1 shot willie , thanks for the suggestion. looks like a good little unit, nice that that grill is incorporated right into the design.

that said i think i'll stick with my Firebox for now. i like everything about it aside from the weight. i understand there's a Ti version out but the last time i looked the sticker price was pretty unappealing, not to mention the fact that i couldn't find a distributor in the UK who had any idea when they might have them in stock.

i had looked at the Honey Stove with The Hive expansion kit which would bring it up to a size that appeals to me but i've pretty much had my fill of "flat pack" stoves that need assembly in order to use AND the overall weight is no better than my stainless Firebox.

what i really want is something that is roughly a 6-8" cube -- or thereabouts in terms of internal volume -- and fairly lightweight without costing an arm and a leg. overly ambitious i know but the quest continues.

well, i thought about it for a spell, watched all the Utube vids, thought about it some more and then reached out to the Swiss company that makes and sells them. the head man there, Bruno, was very helpful and long story short i've bought one. i get that it's a bit of a sieve in terms of fire leakage but i always use a fire blanket and a collapsible veggie steamer grill under my stoves anyway so hopefully that will mitigate any problems.

there are no UK distributors for the stove so i'll get my first taste of post-Brexit import fees and suchlike but that was bound to happen sooner or later anyway.

must say, looking forward to it. cutting my stove weight by 80% will be a welcome change.

quick update: ordered the stove from Switzerland and i had it in about a week. it came through UK Customs without a hitch.

looked it over thoroughly and i must say, so far so good. stove + grill + stand to protect the ground (plate + spacer) all folds down and fits into a wallet the size of a legal pad, less that 1/4" thick. combined weight is about 500g. all packed up the thing will slide in any of my rucks between the back pad and whatever load i'm carrying, easy peasy as far as packing goes.

very much looking forward to getting it out for a good burn but life is a handful these days so that'll have to wait. it'll happen when it happens i guess.

Nothing nicer than being happy with a new purchase and sharing it with others :thumbsup:

Look forward to some pictures when you find the time mate :)

Back