• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pimp My Camping Chair

Philmandoo

Very Talkative
Hi Folks

Thought I'd share a couple of mods I made to my lightweight camping chair that has made it even better. First up......cure for the "sinking feeling".

I have tried various feet to try and stop the legs sinking into the ground - this is the total cure! I took two pieces of 25mm aluminium tube, drilled holes through one face for the legs to fit in (don't go all the way through or it won't work!). Then fit the legs into the holes and sit down :) I use two loops of elastic to ensure they don't fall off when moving the chair - I really don't like that sinking feeling.

Second thing I did was to cut a piece of a closed cell camping mat to fit the chair. A couple slits make sit bend and assume the shape of the seat quite nicely. This stops the wind cooling your back and instantly transforms the seat with a feeling of warmth.

Both these mods cost next to nothing (if you have some scraps you can salvage from the garage), weigh virtually nothing and make the chair a pleasure to sit in, especially in the winter when the ground is soft and the wind cold. The tubes roll up with the chair and I fold the foam in four top surround the bundle of the seat when in my pack. I've been using this over the last year I'm pretty pleased with it.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Attachments

• 20191130_125117.jpg
    20191130_125117.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20191130_125125.jpg
    20191130_125125.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 119
  • 20191130_125205.jpg
    20191130_125205.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20191130_125216.jpg
    20191130_125216.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20191130_125259.jpg
    20191130_125259.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 94
Good idea fitting the tubes on the chair, I like that, my only reservation being, if you were on a slope, in snow, the last we might hear of Philmandoo was that he whizzed off down the hill and people are now digging in the big snow drift looking for someone...:rofl:

Hi Folks

Thought I'd share a couple of mods I made to my lightweight camping chair that has made it even better. First up......cure for the "sinking feeling".

I have tried various feet to try and stop the legs sinking into the ground - this is the total cure! I took two pieces of 25mm aluminium tube, drilled holes through one face for the legs to fit in (don't go all the way through or it won't work!). Then fit the legs into the holes and sit down :) I use two loops of elastic to ensure they don't fall off when moving the chair - I really don't like that sinking feeling.

Second thing I did was to cut a piece of a closed cell camping mat to fit the chair. A couple slits make sit bend and assume the shape of the seat quite nicely. This stops the wind cooling your back and instantly transforms the seat with a feeling of warmth.

Both these mods cost next to nothing (if you have some scraps you can salvage from the garage), weigh virtually nothing and make the chair a pleasure to sit in, especially in the winter when the ground is soft and the wind cold. The tubes roll up with the chair and I fold the foam in four top surround the bundle of the seat when in my pack. I've been using this over the last year I'm pretty pleased with it.

Hope this helps,
Phil

spot on:thumbsup:

true buddy.. a was just pointing it oot to bam cause he busted his:whistle::lol:

Funnily enough ordered one of those on prime and it arrived the next day. Its been out a couple times since and managed to support my boyish frame. Think Phil is on to something, I was getting that 'sinking feeling' so looking for a remedy. The matting is genius and easy for most of us I reckon, I did consider plastic shed drainpipes but the ali ones look smart.

Just catching up on stuff after an afternoon wasting cash on a gash game of foozbaal, think I'll stick to the wild camping its cheaper (even with bust chairs) athough the lack of breakfast does need to be factored in.

Back