• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

" Pocket Cooker "

BC Woodsmen

Slightly Talkative
This is my little Wood burning stove i carry in my Backpack.
Great piece of kit, folds up nice and thin & weighs just 1 pound.
I can burn any fuel that the woods gives me so i dont need to carry anything but my Tinder pouch.
Boils a litre of water in 3 minutes. Some times i will carry about 6 or 8 pieces of hardwood i cut to size if im going to be making a meal for a better burn time. And there are many places you can't have an open fire, so this is great to carry.

023-1.jpg

That looks a great bit of kit, what make is it and what's the cost of them.

That looks interesting, is it available in any shops or have you built it yourself?

I'm building a stove at the moment but the folding door idea interests me.

Hey guys.
Ya im very pleased with it, have had it about 5 years. It comes with its own carrying case.
Its a US item. Many years aback, i mean 10+ they started making them. Then for some reason stopped.
But the outcry was strong as many people wanted one, so about 5 years back they started making them again !
So i got for you the direct link to " Backwoodsmen Mercantile " they are very well priced from what your getting.
I know a guy that bought 4 of them, lol. One for him & the others for his buddys for Christmas. Cheers.

The Backwoodsman Pocket Cooker

Here is another pic of it.
This is to give you a sort of size to it. This is a 1 litre pot on it.
You could use a large frying pan as well, its really sturdy. :cool:

002-4.jpg

thanx for the link bc, have sent a message to see if they ship to uk, because i think shipping costs from US tend to bump the price up a bit don't they? if its more feasable, maybe we could do a bulk buy for anyone whose interested, it llooks a bit better than the hobo type stoves you can get//make.
i have a mate in virginia, maybe it would be cheaper for them to buy it in the states and then post on to me, we'll wait and see.

cheers..............mick

The worst thing about buying from the states is the £-$ conversion, we usually end up getting screwed:(

Maybe they'll do a deal on a few shipped over and a few of you guys can club together.

There was a discussion about these on BCUK.

The concensus was that they were heavy for what they are ( about 1kg) expensive after import and that in the uk folk are better off with a honey stove due to these reasons.
The Honey Stove - Stainless Steel

They do look the part though. :)

There was a discussion about these on BCUK.

The concensus was that they were heavy for what they are ( about 1kg) expensive after import and that in the uk folk are better off with a honey stove due to these reasons.
The Honey Stove - Stainless Steel

They do look the part though. :)
I think I'd still rather build my own, the Honey stove looks flimsy to me. Mind you, if weight bothers you I dread to think what my stoves are going to weigh:eek: But at least they'll be sturdy:D

I think I'd still rather build my own, the Honey stove looks flimsy to me. Mind you, if weight bothers you I dread to think what my stoves are going to weigh:eek: But at least they'll be sturdy:D

In all honesty i don't use any of this type of stove. I use a swedish army trangia, a hexi stove or a fire to cook/boil water on. I did make my own hobo stove from an ikea drainer. But i prefer just a small cooking fire TBH, less to carry. :)

The honey stoves have a good reputation and are very popular especially with shrafters, i've never seen or used one, and yes i think they look flimsy too, but they are made of good steel and you don't see any complaints about them on the fora, so they must do the job well enough.

you don't see any complaints about them on the fora, so they must do the job well enough.

Either that or people don't want to admit that what they just spent forty quid on isn't really up to scratch;)

I'm sure they do the job fine but you know what I mean, I see it all the time on the airgun forums. I'll be making my hobo stove from 2mm stainless plate. Might be a bit heavy for trekking but it will do me when I'm working out in the fields. I have got a trangia copy with a meths burner but I just cant wait all day to boil a litre of water, that thing is dead slow!

I payed $ 24.69 canadian shipped with exchange for my pocket cooker.
I also bought from " Woodland Ways " in the UK a DC4 sharpener & Kupilka Cutlery set.
It came to $ 28.23 UK and on my Master card bill it came to $ $ 45.98 i thought that was reasonable.
At the time the exchange from UK to CA was .57 cents on the dollar.
I have a great site here in BC " Bushcraftcanada.com " Paul is a great guy to do business with, has tons of great gear.
IMO if theres soemthing you really like and it may cost you a bit more than you want, buy it ! ... you only live once.
Enjoy life & if buying a piece of kit makes you happy go for it :).

Back