• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pocket knife for outdoor.

Rich123

Slightly Talkative
Guys. Looking at the Gerber G10 and CRKT drifter, but very open to ideas. Must be UK legal, strong blade for cutting wood kindling and such, striking a flame maybe. Don't really want to spend much over £30. Oh, and if it looks good too?

Rich.

Welcome to the forum :)
Been looking for a new knife myself, be interesting to see what other folk suggest. Up till now used all the usual "bushcraft" brands of knives. Came across and started reading this last night, it may be of some use you

A non locking, folding blade of less than 3" I'm currently using an Aitor German Army Knife similar in quality to the Swiss Army knife

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 133
Have a look at the mora knifes....there fixed blades but very good for the money. Only thing is you will have to take a file to the spine of the blade on some mora knifes to square them up for striking...this is the one I have and it’s not bad at all....nice grip and sturdy blade and cheep enough that you won’t mind using it lol...

Mora Robust 12249 fixed knife

Have a look at the mora knifes....there fixed blades but very good for the money. Only thing is you will have to take a file to the spine of the blade on some mora knifes to square them up for striking...this is the one I have and it’s not bad at all....nice grip and sturdy blade and cheep enough that you won’t mind using it lol...

Mora Robust 12249 fixed knife
Excellent knives for the money, you know how much I like scandi ground knives but they're still not legal to carry in a public place.

Excellent knives for the money, you know how much I like scandi ground knives but they're still not legal to carry in a public place.
They’re perfectly legal to carry if you can demonstrate good reason. I’d like to think if you were camping or whittling away that would be sufficient reason. Unfortunately in today’s climate a lot of local plod seem to think their job includes writing the law rather than just enforcing it so a lot depends on whom you have the misfortune to encounter on the day :mad:

For hiking and travelling I recommend to carry a Victorinox Compact on the man and a fix bladed knife in the ruck sack.

I can survive without the full tang knife too.

The Opinel Carbone No8 is very light and sharp.

If you want to save weight radical, you should take the Opinel Carbone No7. But this is more for always carring and seldom short use, not for working with it for hours.

The handle of the Opinel No 7 is a bit to small for longer use with glove size 10,5:

They’re perfectly legal to carry if you can demonstrate good reason. I’d like to think if you were camping or whittling away that would be sufficient reason. Unfortunately in today’s climate a lot of local plod seem to think their job includes writing the law rather than just enforcing it so a lot depends on whom you have the misfortune to encounter on the day :mad:
Unfortunately ( having had two run ins resulting in cautions and confisations) No fixed blade or locking blade is legal to carry in the UK regardless of reason. I have argued the toss and lost twice hence the reason I am changing to a 3 inch friction folder or slipjoint. Even an opinel with locking ring is illegal! They are taking a zero tolerance nowadays

Again, the Opinel are excellent but not legal to carry in the uk if they have a locking mechanism.
Bionic, unfortunately there is a lot of discretion afforded to individual police officers/police forces as to what is a good reason. If you're knife isn't legal it will likely be confiscated even if you aren't actually prosecuted. I have even been questioned about being in possession of a a fixed blade knife while carrying a licenced firearm to one of my permissions. I made the mistake of having it clipped to the strap of the gun slip. I have no doubt that if it had been an expensive knife the policeman had taken a shine to rather than my cheap orange plastic handled Hultfors (smelling of rabbit guts) it would have been taken off me, as it is I was allowed to carry on my way because Powys is very laid back about the offensive weapons act compared to most city constabularies.

• Wow
Reactions: lol
The locking ring of the Opinel can be easily removed: Lock it in closed position and open the blade with pliers! The ring will fly away.

(Should you be able to find it, you can press it back.)

By the way:
Most Scandinavian knife makers produce folding knifes too. EKA, Fjellkniven and so on.

I don't know them, but their fixe blade knives usually are excellent.

Or you all move over to Germany. Here up to 12 cm fixe blade knifes are still legal to carry for everybody.

So no fixed blade is legal really? Wow I did not know that, so nothing is possible in truth?

Rich.

As with most things in this country you can get around most of the laws one way or the other ....what i do is keep all sharp,s in my Bergen till i get to the place im going to set up ,,,there is no need to be carrying a knife on your hip ;)

Once I have shown some guis who attacked me a nice Fjellkinven F1 in Lyon.

It worked very good as survival knife, they stopped immediately, and nobody was damaged.

With that the policemen in Lyon now a days cut their baguette every morning I guess.

I have nothing against to support a bit my beloved French State.

Now a days I use in France cheap fixe bladed knifes and carry them in the ruck sack.

I use them with reason and put them back immediately after work or meal.

No Problem, and they have officially more or less the same law like you.

That's a nice knife in my opinion.
And it's relatively cheap so I would have nothing against to gift it to the French state.

It's a Hultafors OK4 Carbone steel.
Works very good. Only 23€.

More than once the local police have seen me whitling walking sticks with my opinel no 6 and turned a blind eye to the fact that it has a locking blade. I think age has a lot to do with it, had I been 18/20 I would most likely have had the knife confiscated

More than once the local police have seen me whitling walking sticks with my opinel no 6 and turned a blind eye to the fact that it has a locking blade. I think age has a lot to do with it, had I been 18/20 I would most likely have had the knife confiscated
Very true Joe, age and context can have a lot to do with how the police respond, there is also a less well recognised part of the offensive weapons act that describes "brandishing" any blade or pointed object. This applies on either public or private property and may apply to any knife whatever its size or design. This is also open to a lot of interpretation by individual police officers.

Very true Joe, age and context can have a lot to do with how the police respond, there is also a less well recognised part of the offensive weapons act that describes "brandishing" any blade or pointed object. This applies on either public or private property and may apply to any knife whatever its size or design.
Agreed, I never wave a knife about because it's asking for trouble

Matt's and Erbswurst's method of only getting a knife out to use it and then immediately packing it away securely and out of sight is probably the best course of action in most situations. There was mention of zombie knives earlier in the thread. These are often showy, poor quality, designed to intimidate or sit in a display stand. Any knife with so many serrations hooks and jags built into the blade would be impossible to justify.

Don't forget guys we have a friend of the forum who donated a knife a while back for a competition.
They offer great service and after sales and packaging are second to none.
"George" the contact is very helpful and offers forum members a discount on some very nice knives.
They supply a huge selection of knives to satisfy most budgets.

If you do make contact be sure to let him/them know that you are a member of the "Life in the Wilderness" forum.
The forum receives no commission but does remember their generosity and excellent service so it is a pleasure to mention and support them if we can.👍:)

Back