• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pocket knife for outdoor.

Don't forget guys we have a friend of the forum who donated a knife a while back for a competition.
They offer great service and after sales and packaging are second to none.
"George" the contact is very helpful and offers forum members a discount on some very nice knives.
They supply a huge selection of knives to satisfy most budgets.

If you do make contact be sure to let him/them know that you are a member of the "Life in the Wilderness" forum.
The forum receives no commission but does remember their generosity and excellent service so it is a pleasure to mention and support them if we can.đź‘Ť:)

The most reasonable prices of Swiss army Knives that I've seen in yonks, even better with a discount.

As with most things in this country you can get around most of the laws one way or the other ....what i do is keep all sharp,s in my Bergen till i get to the place im going to set up ,,,there is no need to be carrying a knife on your hip ;)
Mine were in my bergen! Buggers went thru it and pulled em out! Got told no knife is acceptable no matter where it's carried, my late fathers folder which was 1mm over the limit and second time my first mora companion. Confiscated and destroyed. Into the station for caution on both accounts

Seems like they've got you marked Woody, perhaps a two and a half inch Swiss Army Knife or a blunt stick are all you're going to be allowed.

Mine were in my bergen! Buggers went thru it and pulled em out! Got told no knife is acceptable no matter where it's carried, my late fathers folder which was 1mm over the limit and second time my first mora companion. Confiscated and destroyed. Into the station for caution on both accounts

Harsh ......

@Rich123

I had a bit time to think about.

I learned, that a knife can easily be confiscated in Britain. It should be very cheap.
You wrote, that you want to go out in high summer and that you are nearly 70 years old.

I guess you will not become stronger from year to year. A strong knife is a brick in the hiking ruck sack.
See, if you can save 10 x 100g in your equipment, that's 1kg. And a kilogram more or less on your shoulders will make a difference for you!

Full tang knifes and strong folding knifes usually weight round about 150g or more.

It is better to carry a very sharp and very light knife, than a very strong one in my opinion, especially in the summer.

In the other thread I offered you to help you with a very light hiking equipment, if you like.

And here I recommend you a very very light but very very sharp and very very cheap knife:

In my opinion you should buy an Opinel No8 Carbone!
It weights only 45g! Handle length 11cm, blade 8,5cm long. That is incredibly light and really long enough!

I am easily able to get it razor sharp with a simple and cheap small Laguiole sharpening stone.

I am totally convinced, that this would serve you very well on your short summer hikes!

You don't need the tin opener,cork screw and scissors of the Victorinox Compact which I usually do recommend. You can cut your nails before starting the hike and tins and wine bottles you surely will not carry around any more. The Victorinox Compact is a long journey knife. I guess you plan to do short hikes, isn't it?

For this, the Opinel Carbone No8 is very nice.

And this is obviously no weapon. It is a well known French farmers knife, and a policeman who would confiscate it from a grandpa's ruck sack or trousers pocket obviously would be insane.

See, the Opinel Carbone No 8 is nearly as long as my full tang knife, which I use for winter camping! In the summer the Opinel No8 is really long and strong enough!

It costs only round about 12 €.

That is more or less like the Opinel Carbone.
I used the Mora classic for years, lost it in France and bought next day the Opinel No8.

There was nearly no difference, only that the Opinel is lighter and packs down more compact. And it's a bit better in the kitchen.

When I lost the Mora we made the pegs and poles every day from nature wood in the camp. Very old school use...

I find the Opinel Carbone a bit better, but the differences are really very small.

Last edited:

Buggers

I would have thought they would have needed reasonable grounds to search someone’s bag ? Stop and search for carrying a back pack ?

I would have thought they would have needed reasonable grounds to search someone’s bag ? Stop and search for carrying a back pack ?
yes, it does seem a bit strange unless somebody held a grudge

U

Unfortunately, Backpacks have been used more and more for criminal and terrorist activities over the past few years........and not just by the jolly hiker or student.
With the state of the world as it is its no wonder, random searches are carried out...........and in some cases thank god they are.

U

Unfortunately, Backpacks have been used more and more for criminal and terrorist activities over the past few years........and not just by the jolly hiker or student.
With the state of the world as it is its no wonder, random searches are carried out...........and in some cases thank god they are.
and I guess Mark does fit the profile Bill :whistle:

May be a reason for civil looking clothing and small ruck sacks?

"Ah, there is a gui in camouflage clothing and with a large green Berghaus ruck sack. Let's stop him and surch for the knife!"

I can't for the life of me think why anyone would object and get all arsey for being searched.....reasonable grounds or not.
If you have nothing to hide apart from a small pocket knife you don't have much to worry about anyway.

Not ALL police are Aholes.......its the chance we take :)

Back