• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pocket/pouch flask.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Like many of us I suspect.........I have lost count of the amount of cups of tea .....coffee etc that I have made and let go cold before I drank it.......and had to make another.
How many that got tipped or knocked over and wasted.

These little Pocket/pouch flasks are worth a look at if you do not already have one........a real bonus and comfort on a chilly day out and about.......or a longer spell at a meet......take on a hike etc
Make a hot drink in the flask.....soup....chocolate what ever before you climb in the sleeping bag........if you wake during the night thirsty.... or need a warm up its there.....ready.
If you go right through the night.....you have a nice hot drink to enjoy in the sack before you drag yourself out in the morning.

They last well and do not retain odours or taste.......easy to clean and seal well.....had mine for years and it is still going strong :thumbsup:

Keeps drinks hot or cold.

I’ve had a few; find that they keep a drink warm for a few hours rather than overnight. Not much bigger but I find a half litre stainless steel vacuum flask better in many ways, keeping drinks hotter longer and allowing multiple small cups throughout the day.

I love vacuum flasks, wonderful inventions but...never buy cheap flasks go for Thermos or Stanley, these just work better in my experience, well worth the extra money and if you've used cheap ones in the past I guarantee you will see much better performance from Thermos or Stanley. Remember as well that the smaller flasks have a smaller hot volume to start with and will go cooler quicker than say a 1l flask.

Aye done it again.... But saved a couple of quid got this for £7.25...another item for my hoard🙄
IMG_20191012_141729.jpg

Looks the part mate and sounds like it works a treat :thumbsup:

They do the job Mark :thumbsup:

I have no experience of any others.....apart from genuine issue ones.
The one I use (genuine issue) will keep a drink hot for 8 hrs....."not piping hot".....but drinkable hot.
It pays to pre heat them if wanting to keep a drink overnight.
For around camp they are handy......for the reasons I posted above :thumbsup:

They do the job Mark :thumbsup:

I have no experience of any others.....apart from genuine issue ones.
The one I use (genuine issue) will keep a drink hot for 8 hrs....."not piping hot".....but drinkable hot.
It pays to pre heat them if wanting to keep a drink overnight.
For around camp they are handy......for the reasons I posted above :thumbsup:

A don’t think I could go wrong with one at that price buddy. Av got a large metal one that keep the heat well but it’s to bulky mate so I might have a punt on this

I had an issue flask made by BCB IIRC, it kept drinks warm but not hot. A quick test, fill your flask, if you can feel heat on the outside the flask is crap.

You must have had a bad one then Harry?
Look out for this one..... Brilliant and does what it says on the tin.

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_085403.jpg
    IMG_20191013_085403.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20191013_085242.jpg
    IMG_20191013_085242.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 106
I actually got another off ebay thinking I'd got a duff one and it was same, hot for a couple of hours then warm, not great. I love flasks, love 'haybox' cooking but some are just better than others. I've two old Thermos flasks, cork stopper, wide mouthed and they are as good as any you can get today. I've a civvie version as in
Large Vintage Handled Green Thermos Flask GA 46802 | eBay and an RAF version from WW2 which is identical but painted black with instructions. Pre heat (as you should all flasks) before use then add salt, rice or pasta and boiling water. Job done, you have cooked rice/pasta; works well with dehydrated veg or finely chopped fresh veg.

You must have had a bad one then Harry?
Look out for this one..... Brilliant and does what it says on the tin.

The issue mug is no better or worse on the whole than the ones you can buy; all that happened was that someone noticed all the soldiers were buying them so they tendered a bulk order and issued them out. The same thing has happened with leathermans, gerbers, mini maglite torches etc at different times. Someone tendered a bid that was accepted and the MOD bought a load of them and added an issue number generally as a C (consumable) class one time issue item.

For a convenient spill proof mug they’re great, also to chuck in a day sack for a mid morning brew but the more you open them the cooler it gets. I tend to use mine mountain biking to have a mid morning hill Top brew and use a flask if I’m out for a day as my (thermos) 1/2 litre flask holds slightly more and keeps it hot a lot longer with no need to remove the lid to pour a cup so less heat loss.

Reactions: Bam
I'm like a dog with a bone. I eventually found the old Thermos glass lined jug. Heated it with boiling water then refilled with fresh boiling water and set aside at 08:30 yesterday. Took the lid off at 08:30 this morning and the water was still too hot to put my fingers in for more than a couple of seconds. I'm going to make my porridge/dried fruit in it tonight, fill it up ready for the morning:)

Result Harry.... That's you sorted then mate :thumbsup:
Have you a link to share..... In case anyone else is looking? :thumbsup:

Reactions: Bam

That is a cracking piece of retro kit and still going strong :) :thumbsup:

Testament to the quality of build and materials used years ago......nice find.....enjoy :thumbsup:

I've had mine a long time, thats an active sale link I posted.

The only issue is that the innards are glass so be careful being heavy handed with a metal spoon.

Got a mate coming over who knows more about these things, may have a new member shortly :)

Back