• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Polish Army Two man tent

Leif

Extremely Talkative
Polish Army Two Man Tent

s1.JPG

After many years of searching for a tent/basha/shelter thats safe around the fire and adaptable in various bushcraft roles I came across this tent almost by mistake.

I found a thread, a old thread, on a canoeing forum and the review gave quite a postive impression of it. A quick search on line found search sellers including those on evilbay - so for the princely sum of about £20 I receive two almost brand new shelter sheets and the poles and pegs.

The entire system is well designed, the two pole sections and four pegs (each are given with each shelter sheet) came in a canvas sleeve with a button down flat. The pegs are stored inside the poles hollow section which is a well thought out system and even more impressive are the which arent straight as you'd expect, the shape of them (slightly bowed) make them stronger and perfect for sticking in the ground and pressed down by the foot.

The plastic cap with seals the end of the poles also, by pure fluke, happens to be the perfect size to take a cylume light stick so you also have a handy interior light for your shelter!

s2.JPG

Burning a few tea candles in the tent also helps drive up the temperature too so on cold winter evenings the shelter becomes a cosy little den.

s3.JPG

Another adaptation for the lone hiker or a good summer time shelter is the single sheet basha - this ia a great little shelter for warmer days. Or if there were two of you two of these shelters facing each other with a fire between would be ideal! And being a cotton canvas there is no risk of fire damage.

So do I like this shelter system?? Yes I do ........... its not a hiking shelter or one for the mountains - but for the bushcrafter who wants a tough, adaptable shelter that wont cost an arm and a leg this is the one for you.

Attachments

• s1.JPG
    s1.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 125
  • s2.JPG
    s2.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 125
  • s3.JPG
    s3.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 118
I've had one for maybe 3 years, good tents generally. Though i had to treat mine to make it properly warterproof. I also don't use the poles but make a tripod from wood and put the tent over that. It makes it much roomier inside as theres no central pole to get in the way, trust me it makes a massive difference to comfort levels.

I also like the fact that they dont let light through the materials so its really dark in one through the day, perfect refuge after a good drink the night before ;)

Make you right Hillbill. Just notice your signature mate - totally agree!

I'm going to try to make a small woodburner to go in mine - rig it with the chimney going out the arm hole. (I will likely nikwax it too but havent decided yet)

;)

You only need a really small woodburner for them. Ammo box size maybe at most. I'm happy with a couple of candles, warm them up to a comfortable level and provide all the light you need. I tried a small woodburner, turned the thing into a sweatbox.

Nikwax can only benefit the material, its always worth the effort. :)

Make you right Hillbill. Just notice your signature mate - totally agree!

I'm going to try to make a small woodburner to go in mine - rig it with the chimney going out the arm hole. (I will likely nikwax it too but havent decided yet)

I like the idea of this, another one for me to think about:)

HB tea candles will do the job in UK etc but I plan to use it on the Winter WEISS course in a few weeks and there we will be looking at temperatures down to -15 or lower so a little stove will be a treat ......... although maybe i'll just settle for a parrafin lamp - we shall see ;)

No worries Primitive, shelter halves are common through most armies especailly in the mountain and arctic warfare cadres - i like the versatility of these item - whether you have one person with one sheet or ten people with 10 you can make a good shelter for any size group .........

No IPK are designed to be used as the roofs for slit trenches - and yes I have used them a few times ;) - the shelter sheets (aka polish army tent) are often called Zeltbahn (i think thats the spelling) after those used by the german army in world war 2 - the swedes have similar called a lone wolf (so im told thats the name) and even our own Marines had similar back in the day, i think these wear called diamond sheets (but i wasnt a marine or moutain warfare cadre so cant be 100% thats the right name either) ............ but you get where I'm comning from I hope

Last edited:
Yes, very helpful thanks. I was just wondering how effective the IPK sheets would be if used as a basha type of shelter as they are nice and cheap.
Mind you, I've already found those Polish tents on ebay for under twenty quid.

The polish tent is the nutts mate ,, when i have mine along with matt we will show you the idea we have come up with,,, it's top secret as we speak so i cant let it slip as i would have to basha you;)

As a basha it'd be ok but the plastic sheet is very "brittle" ............so lacks longevity

Stephen, I look forward to the top secret being revealed to us more mortals :confused:

The polish tent is the nuts mate ,, when i have mine along with Matt we will show you the idea we have come up with,,, it's top secret as we speak so i cant let it slip as i would have to basha you;)

the plan is more cunning than a fox who,s been awarded professor of cunning at Cambridge university..all will be reveled soon :D

so soon the secret will be revealed then ..................

Back