• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

poly-co jacket needs a bit of water resistance

teef

Slightly Addicted
on one of my fleabay "adventures" i ended up with a rather clapped-out British Army MTP Windproof Smock. turns out i actually quite like the thing but whatever water resistance it may have once had is l o n g gone.

i'd like to make this jacket a bit more "all weathers" to accommodate the unpredictable Scottish weather and since it's seen better days already i don't mind doing a bit of experimentation on it. to that end i've been trying out a few home brew water "proofing" methods on smaller things like canvas haversacks and such, mostly variations on the beeswax-and-a-hair-dryer treatment. before i do something nasty to the jacket i thought i'd maybe tug on the coat-tails of the good folk here.

so, what's a sane and reasonably effective way to add a bit of water resistance to a poly-cotton jacket?
it's safe to assume that i don't care about colour changes or suchlike. as long as it's not delicate, overly flammable or hugely repulsive to the nostrils i'm game.

i should mention that i'd not looking for full-on monsoon-ready waterproofing. when it really starts pissing down i've got my nasty old army poncho to turn to if needs be. mostly i'd just like to tweak up the water resistance on the jacket so i can soldier on through the odd rain shower. something to celebrate the occasional "monkey's birthday" you might say. :D

thanks. as it happens i knew most of that stuff, have experimented with some of it on small items.
haven't tried the Alum treatment though, may need to look into that.
i was mostly hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here for hands-on experience and recommendations, especially given that it's poly-cotton i'm dealing with as opposed to a purely natural fiber fabric.

Back