• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Poor forecast...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
In the Morning section I said I would hibernate today as the weather looked soggy. Wrong! by 11 o'clock the sun was out, blue skies and a warm breeze meant a change of plan. Went for a shortish, 3 hours + wander in the wood. Great to see the season advancing, and a couple of photos which may be of interest
This big old Beech has been limbed for safety reasons and is now home to various birds which nest in the boxes put up by the Foresters.
What caught my eye was the Field Maple saplings which have rooted up on the old Beech trunk...
DSCF6234.jpg

DSCF6235.jpg

DSCF6236.jpg

The winged Maple Seeds must have found enough soil or nutrient up in the old Beech to take root. I'll be interested to see how those Saplings develop.

Beech Trees are one of my favourites, but I do agree that the advice not to camp too close to them is always worth taking. A healthy Beech can live for Centuries and yet even relatively young ones can split or drop a branch.
DSCF6239.jpg

I wandered up to the Elf King's House but he was out, cutting Hazel for Elf arrows no doubt, so I had a sandwich and brew at his table, in the sunshine.
DSCF6035.jpg

DSCF6238.jpg

On the banked ground by the Elf's House are Foxgloves all glowing in the sunshine, and the wood is filled with bird song.
DSCF6237.jpg

It's after 4 o'clock now and the sun has dried the puddles from this morning's rain and now the weather looks set fair for the Summer Solstice tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCF6234.jpg
    DSCF6234.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6235.jpg
    DSCF6235.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF6236.jpg
    DSCF6236.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF6239.jpg
    DSCF6239.jpg