• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Posting of knives

Forager

Slightly Addicted
Hi my brother has kindly made me a nice Bushcraft knife with leather sheath. Now I’m a bit vague about the laws of posting knives. Would it be wise to use another courier rather than Royal Mail.
I know when it comes to airguns RMSD and Parcelforce are the recommended choice. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Assuming that you are over 18.....Strictly speaking unless the knife is a folding non locking blade, with a maximum 76mm long cutting edge (i.e.. legal carry) it is illegal under the 2019 reduction of violent crime legislation to send it to a domestic address, however fixed blades, larger blades and locking blades can be sent to a business address or be collected from a post office as long as they're not designed with the sole purpose of being a weapon. Your Brother would need to buy the over 18 years of age, signed for with ID postage label online and get a receipt for the parcel from the post office when sending it.
More commonly this entire piece of legislation is being ignored as long as the knife is sent in such a way that there is no chance of a postal worker being accidentally injured but you do so at your own risk. I have had a knife wrongfully seized and destroyed just after the legislation was brought in. I have since been reimbursed for it.

Last edited:
I hope so, the 2019 legislation is a bit of a lash up designed to clarify the law but it's made it even more confusing, there is also a bit about air rifles that is also being routinely ignored, even by police forces in England and Wales.

Back