• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pre brekkie Stroll

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
G'day ladies and gents

Alan here, newly joined the site and getting a flavour of the cool exploits you lot get up to.

Its Sunday morning here downunder, glorious dry season weather (which means its lovely and cool at about 25-30 degrees C). We woke up this morning when the boy chased something out of the yard... Didnt see what it was! Rather than the usual morning pre-brekkie loop around the airstrip I suggested to my wife that we go for a walk cross-country. About six years ago we walked upstream into the escarpment from a spot we call 'The Lilly Pond' and found a nice set of cascades and rainforest springs nestled in a ravine there. I recall that after hiking back out we had been completely stuffed! It had been stinking hot weather and very humid.

So the idea today was to try and find our way back to that same ravine, but rather than go all the way to the bottom and work our way back up along the creek, try and find a direct route cross-country from the house. This would substitute for the boy taking me on our morning walk. Of course my wife was all for it. As I said the weather here is glorious.

Actually, we cheated by driving the first couple of kilometres along a property track to get to the nearest point to set out from. We all bundled out of the Toyota at the point which i estimated was closest to our planned destination and struck out cross-country. As I had recalled, the ravine was only a few hundred metres north of the point we had left the Tojo... But at about 160 feet deep (my wife tracked the route on her phone), getting down was pretty hard. So hard that the boy couldnt make it down at first and rushed along the edge trying to find his own alternative path down. He's no mountain goat!

I was pleased we had tracked directly to the site by memory after so many years (and reached it from a different direction). Water levels were really low and the waterfall wasn't flowing (dry season here after a failed wet season!) so it looked different from last time. Pics attached

Me trying to find a way down into the ravine. The boy follows, but its steep....

IMG_1722.JPG

The boy looking dubious about following me down!

IMG_1724-1.JPG

So we finally clamber down to the bottom. Thankfully nobody breaks a leg! Here's a little pool we found just above the top of the falls. Despite the cold weather, this rainforest is crawling with biting green ants and my wife seem to get them all over her!

IMG_1751.JPG

So heres my wife peering off the edge of the falls. They're dry today, but its about 20m vertically down to the bottom... Don't fall!!!

IMG_1772.JPG

With our path downstream blocked by the sheer drop we turn and head back upstream. The boy has by now found his own way down to rejoin our team.

IMG_1799.JPG

Just a little further up we find a second pool at the foot of another dry spillover.

IMG_1811.jpg

My wife sits underneathe to give scale and of course, the boy's straight in to cool off after his scary climb down!

IMG_1821.JPG

Anyway, we cant get any further up this ravine on a quick pre-brekkie stroll, so its back up to the house for lashings of tea, eggs and bacon for me and eggs and salmon for my wife (shes vegetarian!). The boy gets a morning meaty bone

Me and my boy, wishing all the best to fellow bushwalkers, campers and nature lovers in UK!

IMG_1854-1.JPG

And funny to think that this morning when we woke up, we didnt really know that those two falls totalling about 60m in height even existed just a couple of kilometres from our house! We have others, very similar, just underneath our house, but never seen those particular ones since that first visit six years ago -when we didnt really stop to investigate

We obviously need to do more exploring. perhaps this forum will inspire us....

Have a great weekend folks!

Alan

Last edited:
G'Day Alan...wife.... and boy :)

That pre breakfast walk looked interesting.....made me chuckle when you said it was 25-30C......and nice and cool :rofl:

The ground looks pretty loose underfoot.......and steep on the way down.......have you thought of taking a length of thin rope along with you to aid your decent.
Coiled over your shoulder to carry when walking or climbing......when you need a bit of a safety net when things get tricky.......pass the rope around the base of a tree/rock....so its doubled in effect.... with two loose ends.
Climb down with the aid of the rope to a safe anchor stop......then pull one end of the the rope so it comes freely back around the tree and back to you....ready to pass around another tree/rock ready to move on down further.....and so on.......may save that broken leg.....God forbid.......about a 40ft length should do it......20ft when doubled....and workable :)
Best let the Wife come down as well before you retrieve the rope........if you want your Breakfast that is :whistle:

It looks like a wild and lovely spot to explore.......and after some heavy rain must be a sight to see with the water cascading down the gully.
The boy was obviously enjoying the adventure and his well earned swim :thumbsup:
The Breakfast when back home sounds nice....I expect you were all ready for it by then.

Nice post and pictures Alan.....thanks for taking the time to post and share them:thumbsup: :)

Last edited:
Thanks Willie

I dont do much social media (not on Facebook or similar, only a few special interest forums) so haven't ever posted so many pics online in one go before!

On the ropes suggestion -you're absolutely right! We've thought about it and discussed it lots. The gorge under our house is even steeper/deeper than that one we visited earlier today. We've talked about driving spikes into the sandstone and fixing guide ropes down the easiest descents. Both for us and if we ever take visitors down.

The boy has his own devious routes down and like today tends to disappear and then meet us at the bottom :)

In the monsoon the water thunders through those gorges and waterfalls and casts rainbows across the floodplain below.. it's an awesome sight. Our last two wet seasons have been the worst on record. That's why everything is so dry... :(

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks everybody...

We're quite passionate about where we live and our life choices..... I've never posted so many pictures before, but dont want to come across as smug.... Thanks for being so encouraging...

Every part of this world has its share of beautiful places...I was inspired to post my pics here by another thread on here describing a trip kayaking and camping on a beautiful UK river

Our place looks better in the wet season...

Alan

Back