• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pre-Urban Survival

Prime

Very Addicted
So before the big final event you could encounter lots of little near misses on your life journey to the ' big ' one.

I'm thinking those pre-apocalypse near normal situations that could get you into trouble if your not careful here or abroad.

Little things like if on Holiday , making a point to know where the fire exits are within the complex, in relations to your room - the corridor could be filled with smoke , you'll be disorientated and possibly drunk so can you remember after a rude awakening to get You and your loved ones out quickly and safely .

Have you made a point to locate and remember where the Fire Extinguishers are in the building you are in?

Are you aware many fire services appliances ( Fire engines in old speak ) ladders simply cant reach the 10th floor room you are on? So book lower floor rooms.

Do you contemplate where you are going to park in multi story carparks ? Near Exits ? Near Good lighting?

In a new city could you find your way back to your complex easily? have you orientated yourself to the general topography and landmarks you can see from the street? What if at night and street lighting is out?

I don't want to come across as over paranoid because in day to day life I certainly don't fret about this stuff but I do try to make a point to observe and remember them

Any more?

Good post Prime, I would also add to it about being aware of hazards that you wouldn't normally encounter at home such as poorly maintained gas water heaters leaking carbon monoxide or non toughened glass in doors that can break into huge shards instead of those tiny little cubes. Building standards and the way people maintain them can vary a great deal as you travel around other parts of the world.
While you should be able to have a reasonable expectation that buildings are safe this isn't necessarily the case.

I started thinking like this after reading a zombie novel on holiday. (ok confession, I like zombies) I started thinking about how vulnerable we were on holiday when we didn't know the area, didn't have our support network, didn't have any of our stash. It was almost enough to put me off going on holiday. I do think we are taking chances when we go away. If shtf and we are away from home there would be all sorts of problems, not least how to get home. Knowing the way home would be a start. Always having a decent pair of boots or at least flat shoes, nothing worse than trying to get anywhere in the wrong footwear. A decent coat or jacket so the weather wouldn't stop you travelling and some food and water. I try to be realistic, after all, how am I going to pack for a holiday if I'm taking all of my emergency stash, there would be no room for my cossie and my suncream :rofl:

That brings up another issue, re packing or altering your every day carry while you travel and ensuring that you have the correct documentation in place as we leave the EU's borders.

The first thing I do when I arrive anywhere is to get a map. Most airports and hotels have simple touristy type maps for free and this is often enough. I don't for one minute study it voraciously but it does go everywhere with me from day one, mainly because I don't have a very good natural compass and it take a few days to orientate myself.
Being aware of the local weather patterns is also a good idea. I've flown home early due to weather before now, rather than get stuck at an unfamiliar airport.
My EDC is pretty basic and I don't carry any sort of blade as I don't need it in my normal day to day routine.
Always have a cash stash. Both in local and home currency and always carry it with you. It's got me out of a few sticky situations over the years. I used to reckon on having enough to allow me to travel 50 miles and a night in an hotel and it's good back up in case of any theft.

Another thing. Have a photocopy of your passport, visa details and hotel phone no and address on you.

Also a question. Do you carry your passport with you at all times or leave it at your hotel?

Last edited:
@hodgson You're not alone, I like zombies too ;) I must admit I do worry a little about getting back from Belgium if the SHTF whilst I'm still out here.

Back