• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Preferences. Bugging In Or Bugging Out In Town Or City.

Would you prefer to bug in or bug out?

• Bug in at my home in the city.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bug out to the countryside/wilderness/bush.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
l'm bugging in here as it's where all my stuff is. l know my garden and soil, the weather extremes - when to expect frost, how heavy the rain is. l'd rather not camp in the woods but have done in the past. The most useful companion would be my 88 year old mother as she remembers the time before mod cons. My children can't remember summers spent building shelters and making fires (in the back garden - l'm surprised the neighbours never complained about the smoke) BTW, what is a nail bar?

a nail bar is like a short crowbar that has a piece on it to lift nails from wood etc.

I don't see the need for a group. My wife & I & our then young son lived under canvas for ages in the bush, & the environment is a lot harsher here than it is in the UK. England is tame & mild compared to Australia. Put me in an English forest post shtf & I would be very happy indeed.
Keith.

Doubt you would, come and try it.

the south west of England has a milder climate than say the north of England but we get a lot of rain and around here in winter if you step 5 feet off the path you'll be up to your groin in mud and dirty water, you certainly wont be pitching a tent on top of it.
I have tried in the past to get city preppers to come here and go on a guided walk to show them just what I mean, about this and other related stuff, but of course it seems that's just too much trouble for them. which goes back to our conversation about serious preppers.
You are right, for me anyway, wet & muddy conditions are the worst to have to put up with when camped out.
Keith.

Doubt you would, come and try it.
You forget Harry, I was born there. I know exactly what it is like.
Keith.
Snow_Walk_for_trek_video_17-7-2015_003.JPG2.jpg

One of my winter camps. Usually I just use an oilcloth, but Here I built a wigwam.
My_Territory_images3.jpg

This was one of our permanent camps under canvas on Parlour Mountain when we first arrived in New England from the Territory.
Once when I was camped on the West coast, it rained so hard & long that I had to dig a trench round the inside of my tent to take the water away!
Keith.

thats one of the first things we were taught in the Boy Scouts, digging a trench around the tent to take the rain water away.

Tipi tents are my favourite tents, I have several of different sizes, two are big enough to fit a wood burner.

'Well obviously if we are talking bugging out, & the dangers of bugging in have been stated, then we are talking a major shtf situation. Does it really matter what that situation is?! The question is simple, what would you do in a major shtf situation?
Keith.'

This situation is the major, really the only thing that dictates whether you bug in or out, so you really can't pick one until it hits the fan.

it dosent really matter what the event is, its the affect that the event has that decides whether one bugs in or out, and its more of a question for city and large urban centre dwellers than for people that live in the countryside.
I see no one from a city has voted yet and the only 3 that have voted are non city voters.

Last edited:
I'm moving to New Zealand in a few months, I'll be looking at buying in a rural/semi rural area with some land, this will no doubt affect my prepping future to some degree.

Id like to say id bug in, in my area, keith... Ive been here 43 years so i know it well, & where i could hope to acquire certain items of use.. Im neither in a city or a town.. More a parish, natuaral springs in the area, plenty of rat runs.. So yeah bug in mate..:)

I'm moving to New Zealand in a few months, I'll be looking at buying in a rural/semi rural area with some land, this will no doubt affect my prepping future to some degree.
Well done Harry, you should have more freedom in NZ.
Best of luck in finding a place of your own.
Keith.

Id like to say id bug in, in my area, keith... Ive been here 43 years so i know it well, & where i could hope to acquire certain items of use.. Im neither in a city or a town.. More a parish, natuaral springs in the area, plenty of rat runs.. So yeah bug in mate..:)
Sounds like a good place to be.
Keith.

Tipi tents are my favourite tents, I have several of different sizes, two are big enough to fit a wood burner.
In my opinion the North American Indian Tipi design is one of the best shelters ever invented. An open fire in a Tipi works just fine.
Keith.

Good luck in New Zealand Harry, it's a wonderful place. In some ways a lot more laid back and progressive then the UK but in other ways it's more like living in the 1950s

Back