• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Preferences. Bugging In Or Bugging Out In Town Or City.

Would you prefer to bug in or bug out?

• Bug in at my home in the city.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bug out to the countryside/wilderness/bush.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Keith

Very Addicted
You don't have to be living in a town or city to participate in this thread.

Facts. If you live in a town or city, your house/apartment/flat can be; fired, blown up, have a truck driven into it.
Facts. If you live in a town or in the city, in a major shtf situation there will be; No water on tap, no electricity from the grid, no sewage/working toilets, no food or water supplies other than what you have stored.

Facts. If you bug out to the countryside/wilderness; little wild edible flora to be found in winter, wild or domestic game may not always be available, there may still be dangers from other people, you will have to carry all you need with you including a good supply of food, life outdoors will not be as comfortable as it was living at your home.

Which option would you choose & why? Stay in your home, or leave home for the countryside?

i don't live in a city or large urban centre(I used to but not any more), I intend to bug in-low population parish- until or unless this place becomes unsafe to stay, in which case I've got 6 places(or more) already located and scouted where I can go.

Living in a rural town a would say bug in until I have to bug out....but ready and knowledgeable to bug out if necessary

Something that most urban preppers should bear in mind is that even in the countryside everything is owned by someone. Many of the landowners are armed and would be on high alert for marauding raiders. Misunderstandings are bound to happen so it is best to have some sort of relationship with the landowner prior to turning up on their land and building your camp because it may just be a field or a wood to you but to the landowner it's an invasion of his personal space and he will defend that space.

Words of wisdom mate that's exactly how they see it now! well it is this way I have had some funny encounters with land owners.shot at to.. in fairness he didn't know a was in the woods

A think danger is in every decision made to survive post shtf.

Another consideration for those bugging out, how fit are you? can you hike 20km+ carrying your bag? Even a light 10kg pack will wear you out fast if your not reasonably fit.

Another consideration for those bugging out, how fit are you? can you hike 20km+ carrying your bag? Even a light 10kg pack will wear you out fast if your not reasonably fit.

Definitely
Fitness would be a major factor in a decision to bug out

don't expect to survive in the woods in a shelter for too long, in a long term survival situation we will need something more durable and solid, somewhere where we can actually live, adapt and progress rather than just merely surviving.

Last edited:
You can live in the woods for years so long as you have food and water...not achievable on your own but may be done in a group.

This post is going off track again. Not many answers here to the original questions. Can members just complete the poll & answer the question please.
Keith.

If you're living in the woods in one place for too long you will exhaust the resources in the vicinity of your camp. If you're in what is, in effect, a temporary camp why wouldn't you migrate after fresh resources. I personally would tend to spend at least part of the year on the coast. After all the sea is like a great big self filling larder.
The advantage of camping is the mobility set against the disadvantage of difficulty in long term storage or security.

Obviously Ystranc, you move camp as Ye Olde hunter gather's did.

Keith, if you'd included 'bug in or out depending upon circumstance' I would have taken part in the poll, as it stands I can't pick an answer.

Sorry Keith, I'm already bugged in but I reserve the right to bug out if need be. If I'm going to have to go and forage, hunt and fish I just hope there isn't too much competition. Even if 99% of the current population die when TSHTF we would still outnumber the population of Neolithic Britain with even less resources as a starting point. that will be a steep learning curve even for those who have planned for it.

Obviously Ystranc, you move camp as Ye Olde hunter gather's did.

Keith, if you'd included 'bug in or out depending upon circumstance' I would have taken part in the poll, as it stands I can't pick an answer.

Well obviously if we are talking bugging out, & the dangers of bugging in have been stated, then we are talking a major shtf situation. Does it really matter what that situation is?! The question is simple, what would you do in a major shtf situation?
Keith.

I would bug in if it was safe to do so but I would have to do my trapdoor spider act to hunt and fish further afield or get used to eating mutton. If my home became unsafe I have a couple of scouted sites that I can move out to. Extended family are likely to converge on our place as well......the lure of hot showers and flushing toilets.

You can live in the woods for years so long as you have food and water...not achievable on your own but may be done in a group.
It will be a miserable existence for most people, most blokes could possibly put up with it, but with women and kids in tow?? most modern women think its the end of the world if they cant visit a nail bar or get "coffee to go".
it may be possible to survive during the summer in the woods, but in deep midwinter, when its cold, wet and dark for the majority of the time, no plants growing and very few animals about?
if someone wants to adapt and prosper post SHTF they need a better plan than that.

Last edited:

I don't see the need for a group. My wife & I & our then young son lived under canvas for ages in the bush, & the environment is a lot harsher here than it is in the UK. England is tame & mild compared to Australia. Put me in an English forest post shtf & I would be very happy indeed.
Keith.

the south west of England has a milder climate than say the north of England but we get a lot of rain and around here in winter if you step 5 feet off the path you'll be up to your groin in mud and dirty water, you certainly wont be pitching a tent on top of it.
I have tried in the past to get city preppers to come here and go on a guided walk to show them just what I mean, about this and other related stuff, but of course it seems that's just too much trouble for them. which goes back to our conversation about serious preppers.

Last edited:
Back