• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Prepping- panic- hype- or possibility

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
would be happy to see the British public eat much less but much better quality farmed meat along with more wild meat such as feral wild boar, venison etc. it isn’t just for posh folk and poachers.

Not that I didn’t agree or pay attention to the rest of your post Mike , however this stood out to me the most …. We have 4 butchers here and you would think boar and venison would be at an abundance with a village full of hunters and I know 2 butchers that hunt , alas there’s not 🤷🏼‍♂️ I can get it ! But it’s more of a specific item and not always on show or announced on the board….. supply and demand I suppose…. We also have 2 veg shops that supplies local produce so that’s a plus…. I wouldn’t and don’t mind paying the extra £ for fresh meat and veg .. it does make a difference

1 shot willie

Administrator
Staff member
For the more serious peppers as far as food goes......here is an alternative to the pallet of tinned soup.
Good shelf life.....mix and match your own menus.
Some of it a little expensive........cant take your money with you ;)
Water should not be a problem in this country......mostly.

Not that I am an out and out prepper........but I may just send off for a sample just to try it 🤔

Comments and thoughts?

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
For the more serious peppers as far as food goes......here is an alternative to the pallet of tinned soup.

Not that I am an out and out prepper........but I may just send off for a sample just to try it 🤔

Comments and thoughts?

Good link bill👍🏻 Might give it a go myself 👍🏻 Saves all the fuss

1 shot willie

Administrator
Staff member
I have just fired off an E-Mail to the company to explain who we are and what we are about.
I have asked if they could send out a small sample pack.....1x Breakfast......1x Beef Stew.......and 1x Desserts.
Not sure what their minimum order is.......but fingers crossed we will get an idea of just how good this product is to taste and prepare.

There may possibly be an opportunity for a bulk buy or forum discount further down the line......... if there is enough interest.

Report and review to follow soon.......... hopefully :thumbsup:

Depending on how things go I will add an item specific thread in the future.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Nice one bill’io 👍🏻👍🏻 Am sure if there was any discounts involved even the most tight arssed lot ( myself 😂) would have a go … it’s all labelled and ready to store … keeps everything nice and simple and neat 🙂

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
I’m not a policeman, never have been and never will be but I’ve worked in support of them at many levels and continue to do so now and I’d take issue with the phrase “incompetent at every level”. The level of accountability that permits the Dixon of dock green types cuffing kids around the ear also permitted the arrest and harassment of any minority group you choose. The police are recruited “from and of” society as a whole and reflect the character and demands of that society and there are good and bad coppers as a results of that.

As I stated - direct experience. I stand by my comment - every level.

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Not that I didn’t agree or pay attention to the rest of your post Mike , however this stood out to me the most …. We have 4 butchers here and you would think boar and venison would be at an abundance with a village full of hunters and I know 2 butchers that hunt , alas there’s not 🤷🏼‍♂️ I can get it ! But it’s more of a specific item and not always on show or announced on the board….. supply and demand I suppose…. We also have 2 veg shops that supplies local produce so that’s a plus…. I wouldn’t and don’t mind paying the extra £ for fresh meat and veg .. it does make a difference
The reason there isn’t an an abundance of it (on view) is probably because a) it’s been poached and b) it hasn’t gone through the quality controls required so the provenance can’t be proven!

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Didn’t think of it that way , makes sense tho
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against ’one for the pot’ (unless I catch you at it!😆) but if you saw the state of some of the game that I see reduced and the practices of those taking/butchering/storing/supplying it ‘under the counter’ you might think twice about eating it! 😖

38thfoot

Very Addicted
There was a feature on wild deer and Venison on countryfile last night; well balanced and explained how they are a pest, damage crops and other habitats and need controlling. They introduced a chef saying how venison can be used in any recipes that normally use beef or lamb such as burgers, meatballs, cottage pie etc. The problem was he then said how much it costs which was more than good quality super market minced beef. Like YStranc I’m all in favour of eating less but better quality meat but maybe We don’t represent the market. A few individuals treating themselves to the occasional bit of venison or a dozen wild boar sausages don’t necessarily create the demand for retailers to sell it.

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Water should not be a problem in this country......mostly.

Comments and thoughts?

Very interesting and useful re long term storage perhaps in out of the way locations and as an emergency stock that you could just stash and forget about until needed - but quite expensive - especially the lower duration options.

Thinking purely of an ‘at home’ situation:
Would most households have enough ‘ordinary’ food in stock for 3 days?
60 quid for 3 days worth of the dehydrated seems expensive.
60 quid would buy a lot of (different varieties) of tins of soup and last way longer (unless your going to quaff 20 per day!
🤣
).

If you’re practising rotating your normal food stock longevity shouldn’t be an issue.
And tins of soup wouldn’t have an impact on your (scarce?) water supply - or your fuel stock if you don’t mind consuming it cold - try eating a packet of dehydrated soup without rehydrating it - it’s…..interesting
😆

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
There was a feature on wild deer and Venison on countryfile last night; well balanced and explained how they are a pest, damage crops and other habitats and need controlling. They introduced a chef saying how venison can be used in any recipes that normally use beef or lamb such as burgers, meatballs, cottage pie etc. The problem was he then said how much it costs which was more than good quality super market minced beef. Like YStranc I’m all in favour of eating less but better quality meat but maybe We don’t represent the market. A few individuals treating themselves to the occasional bit of venison or a dozen wild boar sausages don’t necessarily create the demand for retailers to sell it.

They defo do need controlling and man is their only effective predator, but for (increasingly) some, hunting them isn’t acceptable, even though done responsibly it can be no less humane than with those which have to be culled from herds kept on country estates and/or farmed for their meat.

When the land cannot support an over large population starvation shouldn’t be the way they (deer for example) end up going.
Over-large populations can also lead to genetic issues. I once visited a museum in Austria with a section dedicated to wildlife and hunting and some of the examples of mutations amongst wildlife due to inbreeding were horrific!☹️

38thfoot

Very Addicted
Very interesting and useful re long term storage perhaps in out of the way locations and as an emergency stock that you could just stash and forget about until needed - but quite expensive - especially the lower duration options.

Thinking purely of an ‘at home’ situation:
Would most households have enough ‘ordinary’ food in stock for 3 days?
60 quid for 3 days worth of the dehydrated seems expensive.
60 quid would buy a lot of (different varieties) of tins of soup and last way longer (unless your going to quaff 20 per day!
🤣
).

If you’re practising rotating your normal food stock longevity shouldn’t be an issue.
And tins of soup wouldn’t have an impact on your (scarce?) water supply - or your fuel stock if you don’t mind consuming it cold - try eating a packet of dehydrated soup without rehydrating it - it’s…..interesting
😆
My most common experience with dehydrated rations has largely been with British army arctic rations. If you treated them as fuel for the machine for a finite period of time then they were passable; look at them as anything else and they were gash so I’m sceptical of the claims on these shops when they talk about luxury delicious options for the long term.
Reiterating sharpfingers point I wasn’t issued them in the artic but on a temperate exercise where water was an issue, carrying extra water when you’re already overburdened was a real bonus!

If you’re looking for a shorter duration then I would have though keeping slightly larger stocks of longtime food you already eat (in my case tinned tomato’s, beans of various kinds, pasta and pulses) makes more sense. Good quality tinned ham or chicken adds protein if you can’t live without meat and can have a surprisingly long shelf life, if you use it up on the occasional stew then you’re not spending extra, you’re spending the same in a slightly different form.

I’ve shared it before but Paul kirtlys “weeks worth of food in a PLCE side pouch on YouTube gives a relatively cheap and compact largley Dehydrated solution if that’s what you want and being supermarket staples is proby much tastier!

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
My most common experience with dehydrated rations has largely been with British army arctic rations. If you treated them as fuel for the machine for a finite period of time then they were passable; look at them as anything else and they were gash so I’m sceptical of the claims on these shops when they talk about luxury delicious options for the long term.
Reiterating sharpfingers point I wasn’t issued them in the artic but on a temperate exercise where water was an issue, carrying extra water when you’re already overburdened was a real bonus!

If you’re looking for a shorter duration then I would have though keeping slightly larger stocks of longtime food you already eat (in my case tinned tomato’s, beans of various kinds, pasta and pulses) makes more sense. Good quality tinned ham or chicken adds protein if you can’t live without meat and can have a surprisingly long shelf life, if you use it up on the occasional stew then you’re not spending extra, you’re spending the same in a slightly different form.

I’ve shared it before but Paul kirtlys “weeks worth of food in a PLCE side pouch on YouTube gives a relatively cheap and compact largley Dehydrated solution if that’s what you want and being supermarket staples is proby much tastier!

Ditto arctic rat packs - in ‘the big freezer’ 😆 and afterwards at home with all the stuff left over that we didn’t use!
I recall some of the lads complained that after being on dehydrated arctic compo for a few weeks they ‘saved’ on bog roll! 😆 but it never affected me that way, maybe cos I rarely missed an opportunity for a brew.
Carrying water did - its heavy!🤣

When my missus was in hospital having our second, me and the first (2 years old) lived on left-over arctic rats cooked up in the cellar of our MQ for a few days - dehydrated rice, mince and garden peas 😋👍🏻

Some years back we organised a part of our pantry so that we use up certain foodstuffs from one end of the shelves and replen it at the other so that we always have long(er) date stuff in stock.

Plus 1 for the tinned stuff - M&S do some quite wholesome curries (meat and veggie) and I have been known to decant them into boil-in-bags and freeze them rather than throw out one’s coming up to use by dates.

I haven’t got owt against the idea of the dehydrated stuff for some applications but I just couldn’t see myself spending £5k on a ‘family’ pack - rather on a 12 bore and ammunition!🤣

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Just watched the vid. Pretty good.
The icing would have been to show just how much H20 was required to prep the food and for hydration purposes over the 7 days, say in 1litre bottles.

38thfoot

Very Addicted
Think I’d rather eat one of the neighbours dogs (or the neighbour) than eat dehydrated food for a year. Not watched it for a while; think he mentions that it’s based on you being able to find water to rehydrate everything with, he specifically mentions that BiB rations would be too bulky and heavy because you are carrying water that you can source on route. The only thing missing is malt loaf which is one of the most calorie dense products for weight easily available.

I
Think I’d rather eat one of the neighbours dogs (or the neighbour) than eat dehydrated food for a year. Not watched it for a while; think he mentions that it’s based on you being able to find water to rehydrate everything with, he specifically mentions that BiB rations would be too bulky and heavy because you are carrying water that you can source on route. The only thing missing is malt loaf which is one of the most calorie dense products for weight easily available.

I did used to like a nice slab of Soreen malt loaf, covered in butter thick enough to show the teeth marks and full fat milk….of course this was when I was much younger and doing physical grafting.

38thfoot

Very Addicted
When I was racing my off road bike, on the longer races you pre positioned fuel and pit boxes with the support crews containing spare gloves, goggles, water and sweets and snacks. I always remember one guy who was about the same pace as me so we were always arriving at time checks and pit stops together and it was pretty friendly natured. He had a soreens malt loaf sliced lengthwise into four which had been made into buttered jam Sandwiches. He shared one in exchange for a banana and some army ration pack Kendal mint cake. I got the better end of the deal.