• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Product Recommendations

Just read on the web that for the plains Indians who used tipis then long straight poles would have been precious and hard to come by so we're carried along with them.

I always assumed that the poles used for the travois when moving.

I'm on the fence when it comes to plastic/glass fibre handles or wood I use a mattock with a plastic handle not as nice to use as wood but that's mainly to do with the diameter of the handle not being thick enough, one advantage for Plastic is its tuff and not going to weaken with rot, I do like the idea of being able to make a replacement wooden one if necessary but I reckon I could repair or refabricate a plastic one if I needed, I don't look after my mattock and leave it outside all year round but the head would accept a timber handle if I wanted to change it.

It's a simple job to swap those over unlike a polymer axe handle which is cast into the axe head. One pick axe handle can be used on a whole load of different picks, cultivators and mattocks.

I was assuming I could melt/glue or wedge something together if I needed to in a moulded axe head.

I'd be interested to find out how you go on but I'd have difficulty trusting it not to break off and kill me.

I was thinking if a caveman can lash an axe together, I should at least attempt a repair if I had to:D

I've just invested in a good torch as well as being powerful it has a tactical feature that could be useful something that I'd not given any thought too a strobe mode, used to disorientate and worth having I think.

I've just invested in a good torch as well as being powerful it has a tactical feature that could be useful something that I'd not given any thought too a strobe mode, used to disorientate and worth having I think.

I have one too. It's great. And blinding(don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:)

Personally I wouldn't bother with camo. A while back a real naturalist told me that as long as you wear natural colours wildlife cannot tell the difference. Apparently the natural folds and light and dark shadow work almost as well as camo. He did tell me that covering your face is one of the best tricks (baseball cap or a scrim net).
Your face & Hands are a dead giveaway, animals definitely recognise the danger. Some animals see in Black & White so the colour scheme of camo is not that important, more the shading and blending effect it has. Birds see in colour and have superb eyesight, so a good camo system including head and hands is needed and makes all the difference, especially when targeting things like Crows/Magpies.

Back