• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Product Recommendations

With rabbits I found a shot more with camo than without. Also stalking. Slow movements was the key a think. With an air rifle (as yous know) you have to get pretty close with a sub 12fp. Between 30 to 50 yards. A think for me the camo offered a little more confidence of concealment. But I’m no where near as experienced as most of yous guys and I think what yous are saying is sound advice and I have been told the same by an old hunter on one of my permissions.

if I set up a net hide I can sit within 25 meters of a warren in total comfort. It's then easy to shoot with my sight on zero.

if I set up a net hide I can sit within 25 meters of a warren in total comfort. It's then easy to shoot with my sight on zero.
The things you need to remember: 1) You want the wind/breeze in your face or at least from your sides 2) you move when the animal is not totally alert & you approach from it's rear 3) you only take short steps keeping your feet close to the ground so as not to get caught out on one leg & have to balance 4) if the animal suddenly looks straight at you, keep saying to yourself "I am a tree, I am a tree" until it goes back to feeding.
In this following video I am using my old camera, it was taken a long time ago. It was near my house & I decided to take the opportunity to stalk a wallaby on camera. The wind started off from my rear which was not good, but I had no choice as the garden fence prevented me from choosing any other direction. Also the camera was a handicap, I had to keep it on the animal all the time & with my hands in that position it was another thing I had to keep from moving.
Keith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s some you could pick from:thumbsup:

Plasters
Fishing line and hooks,small float or lure
Piece of fat wood or tinder like a char cloth
Cotton wool
Water purification tablets
Small knife if possible or a stanly blade
Piece of duck tape
Safety pins
Some chocolate like mms or smarties
Lighter or wax coated matches or both
Ferrocerium Rod and striker
Cordage preferably para cord but you could use fishing braid
Wire saw
Tampon

And I also believe a true survival kit should include a letter from your loved one or a picture of them or anything that reminds you of them or something that just makes you smile and want to carry on .... bit soppy I know lol but In a survival situation this could save your life :thumbsup:

I was going to buy a ready made tin (just in case something awful happens soon) then improve it or make another, any particular manufacturer's worth a look?

i think it is better to make a DIY survival tin based on one's own situation and possible requirements, these ready made tins tend to be very gimmicky and full of tatt, and not very cheap either.
I carry a GHB bag( the size of a small "bum" bag) rather than a tin, this is kept in the car at all times as I am never very far from my vehicle.

I was going to buy a ready made tin (just in case something awful happens soon) then improve it or make another, any particular manufacturer's worth a look?
If you are talking about anything bigger than getting lost, then you need more than just a survival tin. Survival tins were an idea designed to keep you alive in a lost situation & to help searchers find you. If you are worried that it may all hit the fan in the near future, then you need to start working on a full blown bug out pack with a good medical kit, & think long term, not 72 hours or whatever but long term survival.
Keith.

Survival tins were an idea designed to keep you alive in a lost situation & to help searchers find you

Does anyone know where the idea of survival tins stems from? My guess is they were for aircrew in the 1950s (think Korean conflict) but I genuinely don't know.

I've found no mention of survival tins from literature before then although most of what I've found from back then is either War Dpt training manuals or written by Richard Graves

One of the other threads suggests Lofty Wiseman claims to have invented them, but I'm not so sure ;)

I think its more likely to be an American invention, they have been doing it longer than us.

didn't happen when I was in the scouts, mind you that was a lifetime ago.

Lofty said a tin was useful to store things you should already have in your pockets. Survival kits have come in all shapes and sizes, before WW2 even

Survival hatchet? Any recommendations Ganzo do a nice looking axe with a saw in the handle and a firesteel £40

Granfors https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/ (check your spelling Mark) are good but over priced; I owned two but have found cheaper alternatives that work equally well.

To be frank, using an axe can really eat up your calories...not that efficient.

TED talks are worth looking at, this one is Gransfors

Enjoy

I'm comfortable with axes and Swedish hook type tools, if your technique is good you're safe and the tool is doing all the work. It's the same with chainsaws, it's much easier when you're doing it right.

@Harry Palmer
Spelling checked :thumbsup: thanks for pointing that out:thumbsup: always someone ready to point out others mistakes :rolleyes:

If you can’t use an axe then I see your point....however the axe in question is priced just right for the quality imo...if you own two then I would think you do also...unless you bought them as a novelty.

But let’s not take this thread of topic.

Gransfors bruk small forest axe (look I got it right:rofl:) was my suggestion to the question :D

Back