• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Project on the horizon

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Hi folks, i have a project in mind and i need some crucial knowledge.
What material are them polish lavvu tents made from? I know that it is cotton but what type?

Good question, all I can find is a reference to cotton canvas ?

I've never had a lavvu so I'm unsure what kind of cotton fabric they're made from, what is the project you have in mind Jon?

I've never had a lavvu so I'm unsure what kind of cotton fabric they're made from, what is the project you have in mind Jon?
Making a tipi, the native american style. Something that I can fold away on my trolley and just have wood poles stored at sites I will use. Thats the idea anyhow

You may already know, woodlander, but cotton canvas is sold by weight (or at least it used to be sold that way) 10 oz canvas meant a square yard weighed 10 ozs. So if in the course of your enquiries you may be asked not " What type of canvas ?" but "What weight do you want?" that's what you need to decide. At sea we used to use 12 oz cotton canvas 'Tarpaulins' to cover the ship's hatches, which was considered heavyweight canvas. Of course things may have changed in the fluffy new world and I'm not sure we are allowed to say ounces anymore, are we?...:lol:

Just been looking, way too expensive. Back to the drawing board

@Woodlander

Hi John.

A more affordable option here maybe?
If you don't have a sewing machine you could glue the tie out points with a contact adhesive......perhaps hand sew the edges?
Or even tie in pebbles/marbles where you need to tie off instead.
Looks like a fun project to do :)

Part 2 comes up in a box at the end of number1 :thumbsup:

Anyway how.much is a lavvu on the cheap nowadays? All the ones on ebay i have found are £60 plus. Had one years back, lost it when moving 😕

Anyway how.much is a lavvu on the cheap nowadays? All the ones on ebay i have found are £60 plus. Had one years back, lost it when moving 😕

Military Mart are or were normally the keenest on price for these, and they are currently up for £39.98...……………...both mine came from them at £13 and £20 a couple of years back...….

Ye Gods MM are now up to £60...….!!!!!! Good as they are, I think if I didn't have one, I'd go for the Dutch one man tent....bulkier though it is and less versatile.............?????
(actually you can zip 2 together for not a lot more...cute, but SUPER bulky!!!)

Last edited:
Back