• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Proper coffee, made easier

Woodlander

Very Addicted
I have seen many ways coffee can be made in the woods. Methods like cowboy drop coffee, aeropress, and other gadgets, made in a kettle, special campfire coffee pots, etc etc.
In my boredom, and using retail therapy to relieve it, I came across these "coffee bags".
IMG_20210207_083616.jpg
IMG_20210207_083645.jpg

Got to say not only are that handy and convenient, less to carry, less mess and faff, they make a damn good cup of coffee too!
IMG_20210207_083724.jpg

This particular brand comes in boxes of 10, I managed to get 3 boxes for less than a tenner.

Thought I would share with you folk, might be a handy thing to have when we are all free again?

Where is all the fun in that? There is no ceremony or opportunity to show off fantastically expensive brand named kit designed to produce the morning cup of joy πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Mark my words this new tangled invention will never catch on! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Next thing that you know they'll be thinking up instant coffee and the world will truly have gone to the dogs.

Thanks for sharing Jon.....a good no mess easy option with less hassle.......but the purists may take some convincing :D
To them.........there is something soulful having a pot bubbling over a fire..... brewing a cup of coffee........minds wandering to cowboys around the campfire perhaps :rofl:.....a kind of ritual.

Personally.....Im a heathen and use the Nesscafe 3 in 1 offerings.....milk....sugar....coffee in a small plastic tube.....just add water......there is no hope :rolleyes: :)

Ex forces types.... Tea with milk and two sugars out of a huge can is about their meter Mark
No sugar for this smooth pimp daddy with either tea or coffee. Or milk if I'm in the woods. I use these, they're ok for instant and save the faff. Not a patch on the proper stuff. Generally don't bother taking tea bags although I drink it in the house, no logic to it all, it just sorta happened that way. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

100 (4 x 25) x Douwe Egberts Pure Gold 1 Cup Coffee Sachets: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Instant coffee....On a serious note.
I'm uncertain whether this is a psychological effect or a genuine result of absorbing Caffeine and sugar in a very concentrated boost, but I was once given some advice which, in my case definitely seemed to work..for me anyway

If you are absolutely exhausted, and genuinely at the end of your energy reserve, an instant coffee sachet and a heap of sugar swallowed straight from the packets will give a Caffeine/Sugar boost just as well as the most expensive energy supplement available from the Sports shops.
Coffee/sugar packets out of a Ration Pack, mixed dry and swallowed followed by a swig of water and your legs work again...for a while...πŸ˜„

Probably useless info but maybe applicable if caught out somewhere isolated and struggling to get to safety.

I'm uncertain whether this is a psychological effect or a genuine result of absorbing Caffeine and sugar in a very concentrated boost, but I was once given some advice which, in my case definitely seemed to work..for me anyway

If you are absolutely exhausted, and genuinely at the end of your energy reserve, an instant coffee sachet and a heap of sugar swallowed straight from the packets will give a Caffeine/Sugar boost just as well as the most expensive energy supplement available from the Sports shops.
Coffee/sugar packets out of a Ration Pack, mixed dry and swallowed followed by a swig of water and your legs work again...for a while...πŸ˜„

Probably useless info but maybe applicable if caught out somewhere isolated and struggling to get to safety.
Taking this further off on a tangent, a cheap simple isotonic drink is

20 grams sugar
2.5 grams table salt
2 grams Lo-salt

All dissolved in one litre purified water and administered orally.

Where is all the fun in that? There is no ceremony or opportunity to show off fantastically expensive brand named kit designed to produce the morning cup of joy πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Mark my words this new tangled invention will never catch on! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Next thing that you know they'll be thinking up instant coffee and the world will truly have gone to the dogs.
Oh Mike, your being sentimental now
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I'm all up for the whole having a brew bubbling over the fire, in fact I have a bag of the same stuff waiting, and looking for an aeropress, for when/if we can ever camp again. This was more for that sneaky wander to the woods on our alloted exercise with a meths stove and mug πŸ˜‰
View attachment 30599

That would muller me 😡
Strictly decaff coffee and chamomile/nettle tea for me 🍡

"hi, my name is Teef and i'm a coffee snob"

i roast my own beans, grind them by hand minutes before my brew, and any roasted beans more than 15 days old go in the compost bin.
fwiw in the woods i prefer tea. not for convenience sake, just that tea seems to suit the quiet and solitude a little more, for me.

and in case anyone was wondering no, no fancy brewing kit for me. re-usable cloth filters and an Β£8 filter holder do me just fine. when i really want to get fancy i break out my Β£10 french press (stainless for portability sake).

In all seriousness I am not fussy as long as it's made with clean water...sugar/no sugar, tea/coffee/oxo/marmite, instant or otherwise.....I just don't mind, I was only micky taking
I enjoy a coffee in the morning and evening and tea in between while I'm at home but that is just habit.

Teef, I've shown this before but not sure if you saw it.
yeah, a buddy of mine had one of those for years and swore by it. mine is pretty much the same thing, just brandless and basic. totally bomb-proof and pack-safe though which is likely why i still have it after 15+ years:

french-press-20210207.png

Back