• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Quad Bikes and Motorbikes

I’m looking into getting a road registered quad bike for around the place, it’s been years since I had a motorbike…I’m not sure I’d trust myself these days.
Once you've learnt how to ride it will come back pretty quickly!

I think quad bikes can give you a bit of a false sense of security, they are pretty dangerous too!

Once you've learnt how to ride it will come back pretty quickly!

I think quad bikes can give you a bit of a false sense of security, they are pretty dangerous too!
True, you’re much more likely to flip a quad bike or go over the bars…often made far worse because a lot of farmers won’t wear a helmet.
Still, they’re useful workhorses with a lot of carry space and potential to run a winch and towable machinery. They fit through woodland far better than a Landy and are low impact compared to many vehicles because they’re on fat, low pressure tyres.

True, you’re much more likely to flip a quad bike or go over the bars…often made far worse because a lot of farmers won’t wear a helmet.
Still, they’re useful workhorses with a lot of carry space and potential to run a winch and towable machinery. They fit through woodland far better than a Landy and are low impact compared to many vehicles because they’re on fat, low pressure tyres.
If you want an on road one Mike, go for the yamaha banshee 350. 2 stroke quad, will suit you perfect.

If you want an on road one Mike, go for the yamaha banshee 350. 2 stroke quad, will suit you perfect.
Banshee, the name says it all…a noisy spirit that foretells an imminent death 😳 I was thinking of something more like a Yamaha kodiak or Honda TRX….something a little more agricultural and rather less…how can I put it nicely?

Banshee, the name says it all…a noisy spirit that foretells an imminent death 😳 I was thinking of something more like a Yamaha kodiak or Honda TRX….something a little more agricultural and rather less…how can I put it nicely?
Top speed 75mph, 2 stroke so simple easy engine. OK Ok it's mainly used for off road racing but ya know just a small detail😉
All joking aside, the polaris diesel 455 would be a great workhorse for you, and they can be road registered.
Still think the yammy is cooler 😜

You have to remember Jono, I’m much more of a tweed, ventile cotton and corduroy kind of guy who needs reading glasses, we all have to grow up some time and my racing days are long past.
I know Mike, in truth I'm not that different. I'm only pulling your leg. In all seriousness it's why I'm sticking to 125 cc. The last bike I had 2 years ago was a v twin 125 rebore to a 250cc. Was capable of doing 95mph, but I never took it above 40mph. Too darn scared! I prefer a slower plod along journey. The banshee was a joke, as cool as it looks and sounds, I'd choose a Honda Big Red over one of them any day.
Honda are reliable and well built, easy to work on and parts are readily available. After that I would go polaris 455.

🤔
32B94F05-866D-4D73-AE7F-D4F6B22EBE56.gif

Properties out here have side by side ATVs like Can Ams, Hondas and the Yamahas. Sit three in a bench seat and a tray in the back. Full roll cage. Between 1000-1400 cc, gas or diesel. They use them hereabouts because the terrain is so rough and some trails not passable to 4WD. We are the only property without one. I still favour my legs, and truth be told I can’t afford yet another vehicle to maintain.

But certainly recommend them around the property or the farm. I’d say Hondas are most reliable.

Alan

I’m now bikeless for the first time in 25 years!

Did go to the bike show at the weekend so if I win the lottery it won’t last long!

Back