• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Quail

Offgrid hero

Slightly Addicted
A little bird worth keeping for meat and a few surprising benefits of their eggs including improving eyesight/fighting allergies/boosting metabolism,I'm going to hatch a few soon anybody else have any experience with them?

Not personally mate but my cousin keeps quail. He’s has a large aviary at the back of his house with a few running around the floor. he has incubators for the eggs...3 a think.

Any peer reviewed evidence to back up "improving eyesight/fighting allergies/boosting metabolism" ?

Quails eggs are very seasonal and they're complete escape artists, you'll need to pen them or they'll be gone. Apart from that they're easy to keep but probably not quite as economical as rearing a meat breed of chicken.

Lots of information online about their eggs but essentially there high in vitamin a,c,b1, potassium, hdl cholesterol, oromucoid protein and they are not effected by salmonella plus as a meat bird better flavour than chicken.

Any peer reviewed evidence to back up "improving eyesight/fighting allergies/boosting metabolism" ?

I would be interested in this if anyone has any links to evidence. I have been looking into the positive effects some veg has on eyesight on and off and it does seem to have some currency.

I'm going to have a go at feeding them duckweed grown in a polytunnel which is prolific, I was thinking another bonus is they don't make as much noise as chickens which could be an advantage.

quails eggs are very small, I used to be able to get pickled quails eggs back along but the supply has dried up.

I hatched some button quail in a brinsea incubator, they were tiny, smaller than Japanese quail. They laid quite well the first year but the eggs are so fiddly to peel. I fried some, they look like haribo eggs. I gave lots away as a treat to unsuspecting friends.

Back