• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Quick test.

Manthing

Administrator
Staff member
So finally managed 5 mins to service the ultra mags this am, bit fiddly because the hole for the spring to locate into is tiny and my eyes is buggered in general but extra buggered as I've have a cold and it junked my eyes up, not pleasant..
Anyway got there in the end and thought I'd pop into the little wood at the back of the yard to run the full mags through the gun. All works really well, I can now put it back to its intended use of night time ratter with one of the Photons on.
As I was taking a minute in the woods to enjoy the songbirds I noticed a lot of pigeons have moved into the cow shed and feed clamps again.
Well it'd be rude not to, so 3 flying rats later and they are a bit wary of me, little and ofter does the trick though.
Sorry no pics as no phone, which is a but silly on a farm, you know ElfinSafety an all that.
So after this weekend the 97k will be back as main general duties gun and the ultra will be the night stalker. 😁
Just have to decide which Photon it'll wear, the 6.5x50 xt or the extremed xt. Think I'm going to try the 6.5.

I’d be interested in finding out more about your night vision, especially the upgraded photon xt. Would you be willing to do a post about them or is there already a post?
I’ve been considering one of those PARD700 add on night sights so that I can continue to use my Hawke vantage sight with it’s subsonic reticle.

The extremed xt needs an adaptor and a camera lens and your good to go. The camera lens improves picture quality.
Personally I use a stand alone ir torch with a 18650 battery, as the onboard one eats batteries.
I did look at the add ons but was put off by the big light source shinning onto my face. Does bugger all for your eyes night vision and the farms not the tidiest of places.
I extremed the first one because it was the 4.6x mag version and I wanted a bit more mag, so it's running the 105mm lens which gives around 10x mag. But really that a tad to much on a sub 12ftlbs air rifle, I like around 8x mag but for some reason 80mm lenses are hundreds not tens of pounds.
I'm going to give the 6.5x mag a whirl and see what happens, most of the ratting is under 25 yards so no great distance involved.
Owt else you want to know if I can help I will.

I was looking at the PARD to add onto a 3-9x50 with a sub sonic reticle which I usually use at ranges between 50-80m so I’d also probably need an extra lamp

Cool, thanks Dick. I’ve been saving up for a thermal scope for ages but things keep getting in the way. I’m looking into getting an add on as an interim thing.
I'm going to bring the X sight pro 5x20 4k on my Wildcat 3, and you will be more than welcome to have a bash Mike.
Or you could put it on one of your own or the R10 I'm bringing also.

A mate of mine uses a 6.5xt on a .223 for foxing out well past 100m with an ir not that much bigger than mine and I can scan the bigger fields on the farm with my extremed one to see what's about. I know a few peeps that use them for foxing. They are a good basic nv, I don't bother with vid or such, just extra shit to go wrong if you ask me.

Here are two pics showing my unit. Slides onto existing scope and you can have colour or infra-red.
IMG_20220415_202959.jpg
IMG_20220415_202949.jpg

A mate of mine uses a 6.5xt on a .223 for foxing out well past 100m with an ir not that much bigger than mine and I can scan the bigger fields on the farm with my extremed one to see what's about. I know a few peeps that use them for foxing. They are a good basic nv, I don't bother with vid or such, just extra shit to go wrong if you ask me.
I probably wouldn’t use video either. The more expensive ones do have the ballistic set up and the one shot zeroing but if I go for a basic day/night scope I won’t be needing to swap it around as I only ever hunt at moderate range with the .22lr.

Yes iirc the photon has a one shot set up.
It's not the all singing all dancing thing that some are, but it's a well made unit that can be had for a couple of hundred quid that you use like a normal scope.

Back