• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

rabbit shooting!

cal 7888

Extremely Talkative
hi guys i was just woundering how many of you go rabbit shooting? and how many you get a time? i go rabbit shooting about 2 times a week and normally average around 20 rabbits! and also what rifle do you use i use my weihrauch hw100 KT its perfect for the job! and i sometimes use my anshutz 500 .22 for lamping, they are a very good rifle i have had mine for 22 years!

cal 7888 said:
hi guys i was just woundering how many of you go rabbit shooting? and how many you get a time? i go rabbit shooting about 2 times a week and normally average around 20 rabbits! and also what rifle do you use i use my weihrauch hw100 KT its perfect for the job! and i sometimes use my anshutz 500 .22 for lamping, they are a very good rifle i have had mine for 22 years!

Well, I go rabbit hunting 0 time every 30 years. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I use a Logun S16 Evo and it is perfect for the job so far it bagged 0 rabbit.

Can't find a land!

On my last outing ( Lamping) I took 49 Rabbits using my 17 HMR :eek: :D

Les :cool:

On Friday I was just trying to zero the new scope, and got two when they popped up to see what was going on. :confused:
Some days are good, some days are just days in the sun watching nature :), and some days are real pest control days. :cool:

Lez325 said:
On my last outing ( Lamping) I took 49 Rabbits using my 17 HMR :eek: :D

Les :cool:

Repect dude you are da man :cool:

The most i have managed on my own is 36 rabbits in one outing with my Rapid 7 lamping :eek:. Got a few bunny burgers out of that night!!!!:D

Kev :D

im just getting back into hunting after about a 10 year break but was chuft with myself last weekend got 6 rabbits but i missed more than i hit im getting there slowly :D

are there any guides to rabbit hunting? I guess it's a case of just staying still and waiting for them to appear??

d3v said:
are there any guides to rabbit hunting? I guess it's a case of just staying still and waiting for them to appear??

There are quite a few guides to stalking, and best methods to use, but practice is the best. One of the most productive methods is, as you say, find a warren then sit and wait.

we are out regular 2-4 tiimes a week doing 0-90+ bunny a night, pigeons days 0-whatever birds, just love the fresh meat & country..;)

Another old thread here but I’m bumping it because I also enjoy a bit of rabbit stew when I can get a couple.

What I don’t necessarily agree with is taking more than you can use. I tend to take half a dozen at most, even when they’re plentiful. I have no issue with killing them but wasting meat is just wrong.

What I don’t necessarily agree with is taking more than you can use. I tend to take half a dozen at most, even when they’re plentiful. I have no issue with killing them but wasting meat is just wrong.
I agree to a point :whistle: BUT some permission's are for pest control ( i know that don't mean annihilate/ eradicate ) them but some land owners want them gone :) the permissions i have let me farm them .. as in take the large ones only :thumbsup:

I agree to a point :whistle: BUT some permission's are for pest control ( i know that don't mean annihilate/ eradicate ) them but some land owners want them gone :) the permissions i have let me farm them .. as in take the large ones only :thumbsup:
Fair comment but I only have so much freezer space and I don’t like wasting food. I’m also not keen on carrying more than half a dozen for any distance. As for size of bunny, small ones are nice and tender for frying while older bunnies go in the slow cooker. They‘re all good boiled off the bone and then added to a pie, a curry or a nice spicy stew.

Edited
the permission I had a few years back was riddled with rabbits , the estate manager told me to get as many as I could…. So it was free food for my cousin’s ferrets and his mates ferrets, the local butcher took some also, I had to leave the liver and heart in tho ….nothing went to waste however it was costly driving around delivering them…. The most I would take is 4 in a day tho I didn’t always get 4…. To be honest! Delivering the rabbits became a pain and almost ruined the days shoot but I didn’t see another option for myself to continue shooting there… not sure this would work for others tho and am sure there’s other ways

Last edited:
There is a guy over the river that runs bushcraft courses (the bug out) who always wants rabbits, squirrels and pheasants for townies to butcher (and I mean that in the loosest sense) as part of a wild food bushcraft course. Bunnies and squirrels paunched and the pheasants headshot if possible, he freezes them and thaws them out for courses…god only knows how many prospective bush crafters he has poisoned.

There is a guy over the river that runs bushcraft courses (the bug out) who always wants rabbits, squirrels and pheasants for townies to butcher (and I mean that in the loosest sense) as part of a wild food bushcraft course. Bunnies and squirrels paunched and the pheasants headshot if possible, he freezes them and thaws them out for courses…god only knows how many prospective bush crafters he has poisoned.

“The bug out” you say …. Bet it does after eating that 😂

Still a useful means for overkill (pun intended)

Back