• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Rabbit, venison and red meat stew recipe

lee

Slightly Obsessed
This is my recipe for rabbit stew its also a good recipe for venison or any red meat.
(this recipe using 1 rabbit serves 2-4 depending on how much veg you use)

Rabbit: Clean and gut your rabbit not forgetting to remove the scent glands by the hind legs.
Chop up the rabbit to your size preference these 2 were chopped up small usually I just quarter into four plus the middle or you can totally de-bone the rabbit if you prefer no bones. I leave the rib cage hole to prevent little bones coming lose in the stew.

image.jpeg

I purge the meat in a bucket of cold water with some ice packs for 24 hours before cooking or freezing this brings the blood out of the meat, colour of the purged meat after 24 hours: (notice the colour difference from the pic above)

image.jpeg

Fry off the meat in a generous amount of palm oil with, half tea spoon turmeric, quarter tea spoon cumin, fresh chopped garlic, onions, 1 x any colour pepper and ginger to seal off the meat. Fry for 10-15 minutes or until the meat has browned off.

Then add 2 table spoons of tomato puree, 1 stock cube (¼ of a tea spoon dried chiilis or chilli oil/paste if you want your stew to have a little kick), a splash of worcester or soy sauce, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, some chopped parsley and tyme 1-2 large classes of red wine (I prefer Merlot) mix this all together and simmer on low heat for 45 mins.

Then add your chopped veg and some stock around 1/3 to 1/2 litre. (for sock use either stock cubes, gravy granules mixed with water, or the new stock pots, which work best for me.

Veg: I usually use the following veg: chopped potatoes with skin on, green/runner beans, carrots, mushrooms and or any other veg you have.

If you want to add some dumplings do so at this point.

Now simmer all for around 60 minutes or until the meat is falling off the bone and the veg is soft.

Serve with chilled beer and hot crusty bread round the camp fire. :D

Thats cool happy to do demo, but my biggest pot serves 4 do you have larger pot as would be good do big one with 3-4 rabbits

I have a large fire stand but might be easier to do such a big pot on the gas stove?

Last edited:
Sweet, I will do 2 rabbit stew demos/cooks, say one on tues at your camp for you guys and one at mine on saturday, everyone is welcome for a taste at my camp saturday!

Back