• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Rabbit

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Never tried it, and cooking it on an open fire next day or so, yes this is shop bought but i will go with the idea that if i need to I will skin and gut as required.

My rifle which is going to get used real soon is capable of getting dinner such as this bunny

open fire using only what I have, best cooking method???
P1310277.JPG

Never tried it, and cooking it on an open fire next day or so, yes this is shop bought but i will go with the idea that if i need to I will skin and gut as required.

My rifle which is going to get used real soon is capable of getting dinner such as this bunny

open fire using only what I have, best cooking method???View attachment 17494
Hi mate, one (if you can get some) is to coat it in a one inch thick layer of wet clay after first seasoning the bunny and then cook it straight on the coals. The reason is that rabbit is a very lean meat and prone to be very dry if not cooked properly hence the coating of clay. That leg I would probably leave on the coals for 35/40minutes

My preferred method is to lightly brown it in a frying pan using salted butter and then stew it in stock to make it tender so that it just falls off the bone. (You can use the same pan.) Since someone else has dressed it watch out for tiny bits of bone where the joints were cut.
When you're shooting your own rabbit make sure it's gutted immediately, this will improve the quality of the meat.

My preferred method is to lightly brown it in a frying pan and then stew it in stock to make it tender so that it just falls off the bone. (You can use the same pan.) Since someone else has dressed it watch out for tiny bits of bone where the joints were cut.
When you're shooting your own rabbit make sure it's gutted immediately, this will improve the quality of the meat.
I prefer it stewed as well in a stock fortified with herbs and red wine

"open fire using only what I have" what will you have ? as others have said, bunny can go dry as old sticks, long slow stew if you have a pot ? I love me a bit of bunny :)

"only what i have " means to me if I can forage, hunt, grow in crop, or what I have with me in order of gear. No treats as such , I don't mind cheating a bit now and then but anything I do over the next few months is strictly no popping to the shops. I can get bugs in the pot with a bit more practice and I have last years crop all stored so that is allowed and anything I find is a bonus.

Scenerio. Me, my gear which most i will need and big forest/woodland/wilderness

Tesco not round the corner

PS good call about the clay will check soil around here

Only had Rabbit stew once....very nice :D even better that I shot it the day before. So no waste.
Did you know that the national dish of Malta is rabbit usually pan fried with a herb sauce, very nice but can be dry.if I'm going to roast a bunny I wrap it up in a lot of streaky bacon and do a slow roast

Did you know that the national dish of Malta is rabbit usually pan fried with a herb sauce, very nice but can be dry.if I'm going to roast a bunny I wrap it up in a lot of streaky bacon and do a slow roast

Really like the sound of streaky bacon and rabbit.... will have to try this joe:thumbsup:

Used to eat it a lot as a teenager, shot by my own fair hand. Best in a stew as its dry (as said) and I had to be taught by my mum all this stuff. Its not a meat I'd eat 'dry' by choice but I like food in a sauce so maybe biased. I like the pan frying idea first, I'll need to give that a go, when I actually get round to popping caps in bunny asses.

Really like the sound of streaky bacon and rabbit.... will have to try this joe:thumbsup:
Used to eat it a lot as a teenager, shot by my own fair hand. Best in a stew as its dry (as said) and I had to be taught by my mum all this stuff. Its not a meat I'd eat 'dry' by choice but I like food in a sauce so maybe biased. I like the pan frying idea first, I'll need to give that a go, when I actually get round to popping caps in bunny asses.
It adds a nice smokey flaour Mark

That sounds...... amazing..... I've been lazy, I've still not done a Fray Bentos yet but a homemade bunny oggy is blowing my mind.
Buy some ruff, turn bunny into a nice stew with finely diced spuds swede or turnips with maybe a handful of peas and diced celery.Roll out your ruff puff at home cut it into circles then place between sheets of grease proof then your good to go

Fray bentos ... stop now am watering at the mouth here

Hadn't had one in years up until about 4 years ago when a couple mates got me back into them. When I see them for a quid in the cheapy shops I cannae help maself. Must have over 30 stashed away for that apocalypse.

Back