• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Rabbit

Hadn't had one in years up until about 4 years ago when a couple mates got me back into them. When I see them for a quid in the cheapy shops I cannae help maself. Must have over 30 stashed away for that apocalypse.

Got two in the cupboard.....am tempted like :whistle:

Braw stuff .

True that.... get the gun oot sir and bash a bunny :D

I've got bunny's 5 minutes from the house but no permissions, its quite open land too. I have had dealings with the factors though so its not impossible.....
There's also deer but I'm not not sure the air rifle would be up to it (even if it was legal).

To my shame I'd probably have to buy a bunny. :sad:

I've got bunny's 5 minutes from the house but no permissions, its quite open land too. I have had dealings with the factors though so its not impossible.....
There's also deer but I'm not not sure the air rifle would be up to it (even if it was legal).

To my shame I'd probably have to buy a bunny. :sad:

Aye mate Best Buying one nae shame in it lol....this day and age it’s not worth the hassle shooting on land with no permission. Still it may be worth asking the owner ya never know buddy. Any how the fray bentos will suffice for now 🤣

Reactions: Bam
Aye mate Best Buying one nae shame in it lol....this day and age it’s not worth the hassle shooting on land with no permission. Still it may be worth asking the owner ya never know buddy. Any how the fray bentos will suffice for now 🤣

I'm the unofficial 'eyes and ears' of the factors for the land, I suppose if I made the couple of local businesses nearby aware that I had the 'rights' it would make things easier but the more bunny prolific field is used a fair bit by other dug walkers and folk walking to work. The quieter field would be better but not so much to shoot at. Its something to consider though I suppose.

I'm the unofficial 'eyes and ears' of the factors for the land, I suppose if I made the couple of local businesses nearby aware that I had the 'rights' it would make things easier but the more bunny prolific field is used a fair bit by other dug walkers and folk walking to work. The quieter field would be better but not so much to shoot at. Its something to consider though I suppose.
Go to the quiet fields Bam and spend a few days baiting the up with a few tasty morsels then get in early sit and wait

Go to the quiet fields Bam and spend a few days baiting the up with a few tasty morsels then get in early sit and wait

If you have permission and you're shooting safely I would go for it, preferably at night. A couple of hours with a decent lamp should give you half a dozen bunnies.

Its something to consider, I've not asked the factors for starters so it might be a big NO from the off.

My first taste or proper bunny have had pate as I am France and all and it was actually very nice and will not be my last, all home grown veggies in there browned off bugs in some duck fat and a few chips as well. Have had to cheat a bit with regard my little campfire set up am not allowed to go chopping any tree that I like down so raw materials are a bit on the skinny side

Will be adopting a new work ethic over this summer as I think I have become too lazy here, my last job was metal casting in SE London (2008 when the crash hit I was laid off) where I had to get up at 6 am and go to work pay the bills ete etc, here I do not need to do that I can get up pretty much when I want as long as do what is required of me. So got all my set up again and a bit more practice with the gear , did buy a Mora fero rod few weeks back and it's a lot harder to get a fire going
but that's the learning curve, also got the air rifle (have named her Sabrina) out again which got a bit forgotten for a while and a proper test on my new sleeping bag. couple of nights in the garden then pack it all up and start again
P1320003.JPG
P1320004.JPG
P1320005.JPG
P1320007.JPG
P1320008.JPG
P1320011.JPG
P1320012.JPG
P1320013.JPG
P1320014.JPG
P1320015.JPG
Nite all!

My first taste or proper bunny have had pate as I am France and all and it was actually very nice and will not be my last, all home grown veggies in there browned off bugs in some duck fat and a few chips as well. Have had to cheat a bit with regard my little campfire set up am not allowed to go chopping any tree that I like down so raw materials are a bit on the skinny side

Will be adopting a new work ethic over this summer as I think I have become too lazy here, my last job was metal casting in SE London (2008 when the crash hit I was laid off) where I had to get up at 6 am and go to work pay the bills ete etc, here I do not need to do that I can get up pretty much when I want as long as do what is required of me. So got all my set up again and a bit more practice with the gear , did buy a Mora fero rod few weeks back and it's a lot harder to get a fire going
but that's the learning curve, also got the air rifle (have named her Sabrina) out again which got a bit forgotten for a while and a proper test on my new sleeping bag. couple of nights in the garden then pack it all up and start again View attachment 17497View attachment 17498View attachment 17499View attachment 17500View attachment 17501View attachment 17502View attachment 17503View attachment 17504View attachment 17505View attachment 17506Nite all!
Looks good Med, great photos 👍

but that's the learning curve, also got the air rifle (have named her Sabrina) out again which got a bit forgotten for a while and a proper test on my new sleeping bag. couple of nights in the garden then pack it all up and start again View attachment 17497View attachment 17498View attachment 17499View attachment 17500View attachment 17501View attachment 17502View attachment 17503View attachment 17504View attachment 17505View attachment 17506Nite all!

Looks cracking mate

Rabbit parfait served on toasted and heavily buttered brown crusty bread, maybe a little cranberry jelly on the side....
That will get even the most squeamish pet rabbit owners mouth watering.

There is a pub at the top of the hill in Bishops castle in Shropshire that usually does rabbit as part of its menu. I couldn't fault it, the food there is excellent and the beer was divine.

Nice one Med :thumbsup:

Great set up mate.....shame the fire is on the floor though :whistle::(
You are very lucky to have all that in your back garden........very envious :D

If you do shoot a rabbit or two yourself.......after cleaning and skinning them.....soak them in a bucket of saltwater (cover the top of the bucket with a tea towel) overnight in a cool area.
It will remove the remaining blood and you won't get that taint in the meat after cooking........something that can be overlooked.

Look forward to seeing more from you.......stew looked lovely by the way.:)

Back