• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Rabbits

edd5322

Extremely Talkative
I am thinking of breeding Rabbits for meat,i have read a bit about it but wondered if any you guys have experience in it?
Is it even legal in UK?

Have done it but you need to be dead hard, to kill the fluffy white ones. There are companies that will collect the rabbits from you and pay you for them. I did read an end of the world book where the lead character let his children keep rabbits and kept the boys and girls apart. When shtf he put them together, promising his kids he wouldn't eat their pets, but ate the offspring. I believe he ended up supplying the whole neighbourhood with rabbits

Yes, to both. It is legal as long as their welfare is properly cared for and they're humanely dispatched. These days I only eat wild rabbit so I don't farm them. Some of the meat breeds are massive and one of them could easily feed a couple but wild ones tend to be smaller and slightly tougher in the leg and you need at least one bunny each.

When my parents had a struggling hill farm in Wales they sunk a load of money into setting up a rabbit farm having seen an advert in one of the faming mags that promised big returns. As hodgson said, there are companies who will help you set up and then come and collect the rabbits from you. My parents lost a lot of money because the outlay was too great compared to the amount they got for the rabbits. From what I remember, it was very labour intensive as there is a lot of cleaning and all sorts to be done. So whilst I would say be very careful of any adverts stating that it's easy and that you can make a lot of money, I will confirm that the reason my Dad was taken by the idea is that he had grown up in a family that kept rabbits for eating and it kept meat on the table through the war years.

Would do hunting and shoot wild ones but there doesnt seem to be many if any near me in the hills.To be fair would prefer that!

Have done it but you need to be dead hard, to kill the fluffy white ones. There are companies that will collect the rabbits from you and pay you for them. I did read an end of the world book where the lead character let his children keep rabbits and kept the boys and girls apart. When shtf he put them together, promising his kids he wouldn't eat their pets, but ate the offspring. I believe he ended up supplying the whole neighbourhood with rabbits
Doesn't sound a bad idea actually, just keep a few around so its less labour intensive before the SHFT and then breed them up to provide a food source post.

I keep rabbits.I have a strain of Dutch that belonged to my dad.Got about a dozen at the moment.

Private sales. I have supplied a lot of folks in our village with tame and wild rabbits down the years. The beauty of my strain is that they are the same size as wildies. Good mothers too.

Pet- wise, I supply a local garden centre ‘ pets corner’ - and that IS an earner.

Keep a rabbit or two first. Learn to look after them. Then see about breeding a litter later up the line. They take some work.

I was raised on a small holding and due to financial constraints we bred rabbits to seriously supplement our food - I was skinning and paunching rabbits from a young age. Still hate the smell.. .

The smell does cling a bit, when I'm out shooting and I have to paunch a rabbit or two I use a surgical glove just so I don't get the inside of the car all icky afterward.

Back