• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Rangefinders and night vision.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
A place to talk about Rangefinders and night vision.

What do you have and prefer to use??

Nothing at the moment, but something I am certainly looking at. I'm not sure about the legal side yet, can I use NV the same way I would when Lamping or Ratting?

This is worth a read BM.

Night Shooting - BASC

If you have permission to shoot/hunt on the land......and the land has been cleared there is nothing to worry about.

A lot will depend on the type of Rifle you are using as far as safe shooting goes......Air Rifle or 22LR....17HMR ect.
A good knowledge and awareness of the land you shoot.....safe backstops......lay of the land....... location of stock and buildings etc.
Positive identification of your target.
Being aware of tracks......ditches......holes.....etc on your way around.
Contact the landowner and let him know you are out on the land....or intend to be.

Very rarely I personally shoot at night now......have enough trouble seeing in daylight :D

I don't have any night vision or range finders, I use a colour filtered gun lamp mounted to the side of my telescopic sight.
Before any night shooting I always walk the ground in the couple of hours before dusk. I am looking at safe vantage points, back stops, and potential ricochet hazards like rocks or standing water. If I'm shooting somewhere new I may draw a quick sketch of the landscape and note any hazards and the ranges to any features on the landscape by pacing them out (this is sometimes referred to as a rangecard.
Walking the ground before dusk can also help you pick out signs of vermin activity but if you walk the ground at night a couple of days before you intend to shoot try using an ultra-violet torch (not infra-red, I do know the difference :rolleyes:)
A reasonably powerful U-V lamp will show up any places where animals persistently scent mark with urine making it easy to metaphorically catch vermin with their pants down.

Yep....nothing wrong with gun lamps/torches.....and less hassle and expense than night vision.

This is worth a read BM.

Night Shooting - BASC

If you have permission to shoot/hunt on the land......and the land has been cleared there is nothing to worry about.

A lot will depend on the type of Rifle you are using as far as safe shooting goes......Air Rifle or 22LR....17HMR ect.
A good knowledge and awareness of the land you shoot.....safe backstops......lay of the land....... location of stock and buildings etc.
Positive identification of your target.
Being aware of tracks......ditches......holes.....etc on your way around.
Contact the landowner and let him know you are out on the land....or intend to be.

Very rarely I personally shoot at night now......have enough trouble seeing in daylight :D
All good info here. I know the land like the back of mate:thumbsup:. I'm getting another air rifle soon so will be using them again, got a lot of experience lamping the land but haven't done that for a couple of years now.

Well, I hope you manage to back at it soon BM. :thumbsup:
What Air Rifle are you thinking of getting?

Back