• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Rat.... mouse traps.

Is this for inside or outside, barns ? as for bait, chocolate :) If outside I've been looking at a few video of Spanish Windlass Traps, for tree rats hopefully, good eatin' :)

WP_20181112_10_02_41_Pro.jpg

That model works very well.

It's called Looky.

It's not so much the trap itself, it's where you set it. Mice are much easier then rats because rats are much more intelligent and tend to avoid new objects in their surroundings (neophobia) Usually if you can even see the occasional rat it means that there is a huge population nearby. The best way of controlling rodent populations is to deny them access to a food source, whether it is waste food or your stored goods good storage is the answer.
An intense ultra violet light can help to show up the urine trails left by rats and mice, setting any legally acceptable trap along these urine trails will be effective. With rat traps it is worthwhile fastening them down with a short chain. I also have three cats working as mousers that are very effective at controlling the field vole population.

I find that most fatty type of food makes for decent bait . As to the type of trap I've used the sorting type with some success but the most effective trap I've used is a humane one. Basically just a steel box with a trap door. Course what one does with the trapped creature might not be quite as humane. I loaned it to a couple of customers and one said she caught one mouse every day for a fortnight. She said she let them go in the field over the lane but I have a sneaking suspicion that she didn't go far enough and some of those mice were the same one caught again.

Peanut butter has always worked well for me in mousetraps. It's important to place traps and bait in protected areas, enclosures or tunnels so that non target animals are not injured or poisoned.

I brought a quantity of poison partly for a job and partly for myself . Cheaper to buy in bulk so I did and of course didn't use it all so put the remainder in a 15 L plastic paint tub. This I put in a greenhouse but after a while I noticed that something had chewed it's way into the tub . Inside was a presumably suicidal but very dead mouse.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions/advice. :thumbsup:

The reason I asked.....we have some decking out the back of the house and underneath we have some small enclosed storage areas where we keep odds and sods.
There is evidence that mice or rats have been visiting..............little *******!!!
A while back I did buy some plastic traps and did have a few mice from them..........but.......... then the traps were being EATEN chewed up by what must be a rat/rats

Think I might have a look at the suggested trap door wire cage for the rats......and try the plastic ones for the pesky mice again in the new year.

Thank you!!:thumbsup:

i use live catch cage traps with pea nut butter or chocolate as bait. Dog biscuits and fishing pellets have also worked as well. i use an air pistol to dispatch them. i also cut the entrance down as i have also caught hedgehogs as well which are let free in the morning. Decking is a favorite place for rats in the winter

I mentioned on another that I'm setting traps in my storage out house and I'll be using traditional traps but fancy trying something like

Any member tried them?

Back