• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Rats

There seems to have been an increase in quite a few pest species. Everything from rats to wasps seem to have done well over the last two years. The cat couldn't begin to get through all the wood mice and voles even if he was twice the size he is. Thankfully there is something (fox or badger) digging up and killing moles in our fields or we'd be having issues with them as well.
As for the Westminster rats, I'd say that I think it's time to call for the pied piper except that most of those particular rats are a bit lame.

I’ve shot and trapped about 20 so far under our bird tables and in out hen run.

Reactions: lol
I don't see wasps as pests....indeed they are arguably one of the main pollinators we have.......rats though, mmmm......indeedy...but they tend to "come in" in the cooler weather, hence we see more in any case..........:mad:

I don't see wasps as pests....indeed they are arguably one of the main pollinators we have.......rats though, mmmm......indeedy...but they tend to "come in" in the cooler weather, hence we see more in any case..........:mad:
You would see them as pests if you grew a lot of apples, soft fruit or kept bees though. If anything they do far more damage than rats, mice, voles etc put together. This year they've trashed my grapes.
I keep my animal feed in steel bins and dried food in glass jars once its opened to keep the rats and mice out, that mitigates most of their damage.

I do or have done............ my first career was in farm management....

I do or have done............ my first career was in farm management....
You've mentioned it in the past Lol, Bees are particularly sensitive to wasps at this time of year as the soft fruit is harvested and mice invading a hive to over winter will wipe out a colony and destroy honeycomb...
...I'm not saying that wasps don't have a place in our ecology, they perform a very necessary job of clearing tiny bits of carrion as well as pollination but they're also essentially destructive.

And it was going so well until the last word,:lol::lol:

Indeed hives can be very vulnerable at this time........:thumbsup:

Back