• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Recommend a good Back pack/rucksack

Gazo

Slightly Obsessed
Looking for a nice good quality backpack rucksack around 50 litres
So any recommendations to help me start looking please.

Osprey are good but pricey. Karrimor Sabre (SF) is also good.

If on a budget e-bay might be your friend & I would look at Lowe Alpine, Berghaus or vintage Karrimor (Not the stuff they sell in Sports Direct) !

Karrimor was a major player in the outdoor market back in the day but the stuff they churn out now apart from there Special Forces (SF) range is best avoided imo.

Military surplus is also an option if you don't mind camo. :thumbsup:

all depends on how much your willing to spend mate. As wildwood said and the names he mentioned (can’t believe I’m agreeing with him tho :rofl:) eBay is a good place to go. Once you know what your looking for Check local car boot sales. You never know :thumbsup:

ORIGINAL german Army Flecktarn Rucksack 65 Litres used around 40 €.
Best Price for this quality you can get I guess.
For light weight equipment. Cordura, will last another 20 years.
WITHOUT HIP BELT. !!!
The german Army foldable insulation mat has to be bought with it and is used as a back frame in its inner pouch.

Essl Kader Rucksack 45 Liters around 80 € new, ORIGINAL Austrian army, olive green. For heavier Equipment too. Civil Optic, lots of side pouches attached.

Decathlon X-Access Hunting Rucksack 50 Litres for lightweight equipment.
I showed it in the thread"How light is lightweight?
It weights only 1000 g. 40€ new.
Of course it will not last as long as a Cordura Rucksack.
It is to light to last 50 Years, I guess.

As a numbnut, I'm a fan of the American Alice pack, I know lots aren't fans, but it's absolutely bombroof and carries all you and more. And dirt cheap.......
(Also but too small for OP, I like the Swedish LK35...indeed, using this week)

No?
How can a nylon sack and some ally be heavy??🤔

As someone who has spent most of his 20s and 30s and a chunk of his 40s carrying a Bergan given the option I’d want a civi hill walking pack for the added comfort they offer. Military packs are designed to be worn with webbing so have minimal or even no hip belts, something civi hill walking kit is far better specified in.

Genuine mil kit is bombproof which adds to the weigjt, a lot of the so called surplus kit is not so well made in terms of materials and actual build quality and fits in a poor middle ground of none of the features of civi designs and lacking the longevity of the genuine mil kit.

Also if you do get a genuine mil Bethan although you don’t have to fill it you also seem to (or someone else fills it for you)

I’d second eblag and the big names already mentioned, I mostly for civi work use (2-3 times a week on average) gelert Nepal 65 pack and i is brilliant.

it has a hip belt.
All you say is undoubtedly true....it just works for me, is bombproof and cheap
:)

They are heavy LoL, a fine example of American over engineering, that said they are not a bad pack if the 'fit' suits you.

Perhaps they changed it. I had a used one 25 years ago in my hands. I think it was Nylon and a massive frame from steel.

The Swiss material, wich is now 100 years old, was ultra lightweight against it.

By the way: The german Army Cordura ruck sacks are relativly light:
34 Liters 750g
65 Liters around 1400 , (not shure here)

Plus foldable Insulation mat as frame. The multi use effect makes them light. The material is very robust.

But no Hip belt!
The Hip belt was the webbing,,where the heavy stuff was attached directly to the man.
I use a modern light weight equipment with it and the Snugpack Special Forces Sleeping Bags and for me it works very well.

But I have to say: I am healthy , I am trained, and do not work in the office!

Back