• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Recommend me a.........

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
2/3 season down sleeping bag , small pack size and up to £150 .
To be used for some lightweight overnights in Bivvy bag .

Cheers in anticipation

Considering the same quandary; vango venom 200 and 400 and the oex bag from go outdoors are on my shortlist.

Also give alpkit a once over; their kit is good quality and reasonably priced.

Hmm will do .
I want good quality , versatility over two to three seasons and small pack size .....

Rab ascent 700 .....

Following on from our talk at camp Rob, I've been looking along the same lines but with a twist, fleece liners, very small pack size and depending on which one up to 11 degrees claimed increase, still on the search, I'm going to try my lightweight gear in the garden on Saturday

The sea to summit reactor thermolite appears to have a good spec but comes in pricey .......

That's one of the one's on my radar, as you say, a bit pricey but you have to pay for lightweight ????

I dare say you could mate, liking the look of this bag

https://www.alpkit.com/products/skyehigh-500

That is one on my list also , would like to see one packed . I was watching an Andy Wardle vid on Youtube , he has a Rab Ascent 900 in a sea to summit ( size small ) Compression sac , that's why I was thinking the Rab Ascent 700, he seems to be able to compress it quite small . I suppose I need to get scientific and look at comparisons for warmth and pack ability .

Well I've just sewn up my Snugpak Jungle blanket to make a foot box, this will go into my Snugpak Softie 3, I'll be using this one night soon, we have minus 2 and 3 forecast, those with thermals and my Klymit mat 'should' be ok in a bivvy under a tarp, if it fails then I can go indoors, if it works then I'll have a small pack versatile sleep system, only thing is space in the bag with the blanket but we'll see how that pans out :)

I'd be interested to know how that feels as unless you "sleep warm" (and everyone is different) that sounds chilly to me.

Key point might be in the woods is how dry you are when you get into the bag as any dampness will reduce the pleasure factor considerably (so don't lag yourself!)

I'd be interested to know how that feels as unless you "sleep warm" (and everyone is different) that sounds chilly to me.

Key point might be in the woods is how dry you are when you get into the bag as any dampness will reduce the pleasure factor considerably (so don't lag yourself!)

I'm always a little damp when in the woods .......:whistle:

I'm going to try a test run tonight for an hour, need to know as I've just been given a pass for Saturday, Rob, you have a message ;)

Trying it for an hour may be an exercise in proving what you can tolerate for an hour, not its suitability to provide a comfortable nights sleep in which your body recovers for the next day.

Yeah I know what you're saying, it will give me an indication though, hopefully ?

Hah, no, sorry (hence the question marks); I'm very low tech and cheap/tight, using synthetic bags the British Army Arctic bag and liner. However, Summiteer is a make I've been looking very closely at for some time, and investigating their bags, their down sourcing, etc. Their website has a lot of info. They are a fairly new company, and I like their stuff for the price.

I tend to canoe rather than carry, so ultimate lightness/compactness isn't quite the issue as it would otherwise be. That and the fact my bag cost £20 !! In the summer I go even lower tech with a £9 Czech Army blanket sleeping bag:snigger:.....

However, I think if I was after a down bag, these would have to be very high on my list:thumbsup:.

Well been out for 15 minutes, toasty so far, phone says it's zero degrees, ccf mat, foil windscreen,, army bivvy and the Snugpak arrangement, thermal underwear and a down lightweight jacket with hood, so comfy I've got a beer bought out to me lmao

Back