• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Recommendations for fairly large water filter kits

OwlHoot

Slightly Talkative
I did a quick search on this site, and found an excellent recent thread on water storage : Water Storage For Newcomers.

But as I have a 100' deep covered bottle well, with a hand pump due to be fitted soon (if the company gets round to it before WW3 breaks out, which is looking increasingly dubious the way things in Syria are going!), I am more interested in water filters.

I'm not just talking about miniature "straw" filters, although those are useful, and recommendations on them will also be welcome. I'm more interested in "bulk" filters, maybe something about the size of a large jerry can that can handle say 20 or more litres at a time, for drinking, washing, and cooking, maybe a continuous flow filter.

Also, I'd prefer filters that don't rely on supplementary non-renewable spares such as pills or liquids that one must buy separately and which in a post-SHTF situation would run out with no chance of resupply, as that would obviously be somewhat inconvenient to say the least.

Meanwhile, on another topic, I've also been reading up on Viking sunstones, and birefringent and dichroic crystals, and plan to post here about that soon. It's probably of limited practical use, even post-WW3, unless you happen to accidently step on your last working compass and it cracks with a sickening crunch! But it could be quite handy to know how one can locate the sun with high accuracy on a mostly cloudy day! Also, in relation to this, did you know one can make the equivalent of a sunstone from a pair of polaroid sunglasses and a sheet of cellophane?

As you probably know there are many companies making water filters and users will all have their preferences as to which they prefer. Pointless really asking which is best, as it is pretty much 'Horses for Courses' and the choice usually comes down to personal preference. So, I can only speak of the kit I have used, very frequently, for the past 8 years.

If I am staying in the wood for more than 4 or 5 nights, which I often do, I take this filter.

DSCF4742.jpg

It's made by "Drink Safe" ....Drinksafe-Systems Instant Purified Portable Water Micro Purification Filters and it's a basic, pretty simple filter. A perforated stainless steel 'cage' with a cotton wool type insert acts as a pre- filter, and collects debris, then the water goes into a compressed treated charcoal filter and gravity does the rest. My kit in the photograph is the 15 litre version, I have a smaller one used for shorter trips. I back flush the filters after each trip and the charcoal one lasts for something like 15,000 litres if it's looked after.

DSCF4740.jpg

My water comes from an ancient well, I then boil it before drinking it and I'm still here being a pain in 'arris to all and sundry after 8+ years....:D

Have you had the well water tested? Once that's done you can then look around for a filter.
There are a dizzying array of filters for the home, from simple chlorine removal filters to full on remove everything and the various in between.
The Berkey, or British Berkfield is one of the most efficient removing chemical and biological contaminants but you need to replace filters every couple of years.

Berkey Waterfilters UK & EU - Lifetime Warranty - Worldwide Shipping

You can make your own using just the filters.

SA Home Made Water Filter

If you just need a good biological filter, you can't beat Sawyers. They are reaonably priced and with proper care can filter many thousands of gallons of water. I have the Sawyer mini in my kit that I will use inline with a couple of buckets if I ever need to.

Products | Sawyer Products

You can also make your own bio filter, I have never done this, but I believe once you have them working correctly they are very efficient and running costs are minimal.

How To Build A Bio Water Filter | Off The Grid News

It might also be worth investigating marine water makers.

This is just for information and I recommend you do your own research, particularly regarding the homemade bio filter. There are also many more types of filter.
As I mentioned, getting the water tested should be your first job and then you can make a more informed decision about what sort of filter you require.

Last edited:
Mike is spot on with his reply, you need to know what you are trying to remove before choosing which system you're going to go for... Almost all filtration systems need to be maintained and will need replacement parts, if you wish to, this need for maintenance can be slightly reduced by designating a single drinking water tap so that filtered water isn't wasted on other needs. If your well has been sited and constructed properly the water test may show that it's pure enough without filtration once it settles and clears. If you're in the uk you're required to get private water sources tested anyway and if you supply anyone else in any way you have a legal duty to ensure it is safe.
British Water

Last edited:
Back