• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Remarkably long life bread

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
To add to the tub of "I can't believe it's not butter" which we dumped into the fire at the winter camp and which took about an hour to disintegrate, I'd like to point out the extremely long life bread we bought at the shop too on 19th Jan.
We've just got down to the last slice (we don't eat much bread here) and it's still not mouldy after 3 weeks!
It doesn't appear to have many preservatives but how else can it last so long? Something in that is not natural.

20220208_224145.jpg

20220208_224228.jpg

I caught a bit of radio 2 on monday afternoon and they were discussing shelf life of food and bread was one of the foods mentioned. There seemed to be a split with regards to storage. Some claim that putting the bread in the fridge keeps it fresh while others were saying the colder temperatures tend to affect the starchs and make it go stale quicker. Perhaps how you've stored your bread may have a bearing?

@G1ZmO

Stroll on Paul......that has lasted well:eek: :rofl:

You could use that bread to put a shingle roof on a shelter/shed......'orrible stuff 🤮:rofl:
Imagine spreading it with that "I cant believe its not butter" it would outlast "Noahs Ark"........and be more water tight.

You may find this interesting.

Or scary!😳

My wife bakes our bread each weekend by hand, several loaves.
The only ingredients she uses are natural:
High quality flour; yeast, water, salt.

If she’s making bread for toast she will add small amounts of milk and sugar - helps it brown better.
There’s absolutely no preservatives in it so we freeze a couple of them and use during the week as required.

She’s being doing it for at least 10 years and on the first occasion that she made it, it came out a slightly grey colour. If you want it that ‘artificial’ white colour you have to use flour that has been bleached!

Here’s an extract from one of her bread making books, the detail of which I suspect most are oblivious to:

‘Some would say that 1961 was a bad year for bread, it was the year that the Chorley Wood process came in.
The process ‘revolutionised’ the baking industry.

This high speed mechanical mixing process allowed the fermentation time to be drastically reduced and meant that lower protein British wheats could be used in place of the more expensive (and better!) North American imports.
Various chemical ‘improvers’ and anti fungal agents are necessary ingredients as are certain hydrogenated or fractionated hard fats.

This is high output, low labour production, designed to maximise efficiency and profit at the expense of the consumer.
Mass produced bread is almost undoubtedly worse for you.

Apart from the dubious additives and fats it contains, the short fermentation makes the wheat harder to digest.
Some believe this processing method is partly to blame for a sharp increase in gluten intolerance and allergies.

The mass production of bread entails the use of genetically modified yeasts which means that fermentation and rotting takes place in your body. This can cause microbial flora and traumas of the lining of the gastrointestinal tract!

Enzymes are modern baking’s big secret. A loop hole classifies them as processing aids which need not be declared on the ingredients label. Additives on the other hand must be listed. Not surprisingly most people have no idea their bread contains added enzymes. These enzymes are a protein which speeds up a metabolic reaction and are extracted from plant, animal, fungal and bacterial sources.

A whole host of enzymes are used in baking, their status as processing aids is based on the assumption that they are used up in the production process and therefore ‘not really’ present in the final product. This is a deception which allows the food industry to manipulate what we eat without telling us!

In their own trade literature, enzyme manufacturers extoll the ‘thermal-stability’ of this or that product; in other words it’s ability to have a lasting effect on the baked bread!

Enjoy yer sarnies! 🤣

Breed ? Who’s breed ? Paul mate ! You should Ken better than this 🤷🏼‍♂️🙄 that breed is fur the tourists 🤔 nasty stuff made for the southern palette ken 🤦🏻‍♂️😂 binds you up better than an S&M party 👎

Breed ? Who’s breed ? Paul mate ! You should Ken better than this 🤷🏼‍♂️🙄 that breed is fur the tourists 🤔 nasty stuff made for the southern palette ken 🤦🏻‍♂️😂 binds you up better than an S&M party 👎
😆 I resisted any regionalist comment when I saw Chorley Wood.

Watney‘s Red Barrel anyone? 🤣

🤦🏻‍♂️🙄 We shallow fry bread 😂

I actually do this! It's the best way to have it.

Perhaps how you've stored your bread may have a bearing?

Just stored in the basket in the corner of the kitchen. No special treatment but there must be some preservatives in there I think.

Enzymes are modern baking’s big secret. A loop hole classifies them as processing aids which need not be declared on the ingredients label. Additives on the other hand must be listed. Not surprisingly most people have no idea their bread contains added enzymes. These enzymes are a protein which speeds up a metabolic reaction and are extracted from plant, animal, fungal and bacterial sources.

Scary indeed. God help us if we allow the manufacturers to hide what the put in foodstuffs like they do in the US!

Back