• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Review: Silky Gomboy 210 vs Bacho Laplander

Review Review: Silky Gomboy 210 vs Bacho Laplander

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
G1ZmO submitted a new resource:

Review: Silky Gomboy 210 vs Bacho Laplander - An unfair review

I've said this several times through the video but I'll say it again. This comparison is a little unfair on the Laplander as it's no longer new and has had a fair bit of use so not as sharp as it should be for a proper comparison.

The technique for cutting with either varies as the Laplander cuts on both forward and backward strokes whereas the Gomboy cuts on the backward stroke.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

Read more about this resource...

Big fan of "Silky" saws.......effortless to use compared to some others........ and quality build that lasts.
Brilliant for debris shelter building using dead or fallen materials.
Prepare a wood pile to last the night with ease.......and quickly.

I've always had a soft spot for Sandvik and as its successor Bacho... I can't comment on the Silky folding saw because I've never used one but if it only cuts on the back stroke it must mean that it uses the same blades as their high level pruning saws which are also pretty good.....as a high level pole pruning saws.
When cutting with any handsaw at ground level I naturally exert most force on the forward stroke so the Bacho is more suited to me.

As with most saws it is best to let the tool do the work instead of trying to force it...... and go at it like a steam train piston.
With a reasonable level of effort and a steady pace you are less likely to tire as quickly or injure yourself because of erratic use.
The backcut stroke of the Silky can be a bit strange to a new user of the Silky saws.......but once practiced....it is a joy to use.

I started out with a Bacho Laplander which has earned its following and is a good robust saw......but honestly......I much prefer the Silky's.

The shape of the blade plays a large part in how the Silky saw cuts....the smaller pocket type saws are straight where as the larger pruning types a curved.
The curved blades pull into the wood you are cutting and bite really well without the need to apply to much effort and pressure.

The first Silky I bought was the Zubart 330 a great saw that I sadly damaged.

Now.......for general camp duties and smaller wood prep 2 to 3 inches thick I use the Silky Super Accel Z1......this is a great saw to use and performs very well.......If you are in the market for a new saw and would like to try a Silky I can recommend it.

IMG_20190717_095606.jpg
IMG_20190717_095523.jpg

This little saw will sit in a pouch quite happily on a belt for safe keeping and to have to hand.........but the pouch is not a must as the blade folds into the handle which protects the teeth and you.

I have to drive through woodlands in the 4x4 to get to a few of the shoot sites.
On many an occasion I have been confronted with a fallen tree or two after some bad weather......some of which I have managed to clear a path through with a Silky.
Others have needed a chain saw.....which I do not carry.

For the bigger timber 4 to 6 inches I use the Silky Sugowaza 420.....this thing is a beast and copes very well.
It is comfortable to use and again has that curve in the blade.
Expensive?.....yes......but it has got me out of a few situations and allowed me to continue on with the shoot.
So for my needs very worth the expense.

IMG_20190717_095649.jpg

IMG_20190717_095707.jpg

Even though the blades are chromium plated.....I like to wipe the blades with some WD40 after use..........same applies to knives and hatchets........they deserve the care and attention.

Just my opinion here.......but I think that Silky saws are far better than most others and worth the bucks you spend.......and will last with proper use. :thumbsup:
Lots to choose from in the range to suit most needs both in application and budget.

Silky saws.........love them :D

Back