• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Reworking a Gransfors Bruks head

David Day

Slightly Addicted
Hi All.
This wont make much sense without the photo but I’m at work so will have to upload later.
I have been in touch with Gransfors Bruks re my Scandinavian forest axe.
There is a severe ding in the cutting edge caused by hitting a knot (not hitting rocks).
GF agree that it shouldn’t have done that and to get in touch with the supplier it was purchased from to arrange a replacement.
Unfortunately, this was a gift from the ex-wife and there’s no way she’ll tell me where she bought it from so I’m kinda stuck with it…..

I don’t think Ill be able to rework the head given my current skill set as I think a lot of material will need to be removed.

Are there any ‘professionals ‘ people have used to rework axe heads?
The Scandinavian forest axe is an amazing tool and given my lanky arms, very comfy to use especially over long perods, Id hate to see it go to waste.

Thoughts, opinions and advice will be much appreciated.

I’ll upload a photo as soon as I get home.

Reply from GB:

Hi David!

I am sorry to hear that you have had issues with your new axe. The edge should not develop that amount of damaged after that small usage. We are still using the same Swedish made steel that Ovaco produces specifically for our axes, and your new axe should of course be expected to perform just as well as your older Small Forest Axe.

To me, this sounds like it might be a heat treating issue. In that case, this is covered by our 20 year warranty and you should be entitled to a warranty replacement. We work together with our retailers to handle warranty issues, so my first suggestion is that you contact the retailer directly so that they can help you further with the claim processes.

I am sorry that your axe didn’t meet the quality standards it’s supposed to and I hope that we can have this figured out for you as soon as possible.

Feel free to contact me again if there is anything I can do to help you from here, or if you have any other questions for me.

Also, I forgot the photos were on the email I sent!

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

Those photos show the beginnings of a crack, explain your situation to them and get them to suggest an alternative supplier who can do the exchange.
I wouldn't bother trying to grind that chip, you would probably invalidate your warranty. If you do get it out it will just happen again if that is a crack.

Hi David,

I’m very sorry for this unfortunate situation. However, please contact the shop in Llangollen and see if they can help you in some way. We deal with all warranty issues via our retailers, so there is not a lot we can do for you otherwise.

Good luck and wish you all the best,
Sussi

Best Regards / Med vänliga hälsningar

GRÄNSFORS BRUK
Yxsmedjan
Gränsfors 381
829 52 BERGSJÖ
Sweden

FYI, They mentioned Llangollen as its the closed stockest of Gransfors to where I live.

Is that about 50 miles from you ?

Llangollen is a lovely place for a weekend camping trip....
:)

I love Llangollen, ive been going there since I was a baby but in 35 years ive never camped there?!
2019 will hopefully see that situation resolved!

I was curious how far you would have to travel to get sorted and your profile says where you live ..........
closest retailer to me is 73 miles .....

@David Day

GRANSFORS BRUK.

Might be worth sending Lianggollen another E-Mail.........or give them a call......send them copies of the Emails from Sussi to show what has been discussed.

If you still have no joy.....get back to Sussi and explain you have tried to resolve the issue through Llangollen retailer but have had no reply..... or success.........include the address and email/phone number of the retailer.
Ask if he could send an instruction to them to resolve/exchange the Axe with his blessing....even though you have lost the receipt and may not have purchased the Axe from them......it is after all one of Gransfors products.

Explain you are willing to take the Axe to them in person.

Receipt or not.......it would show great customer care and after sales service from such a popular and trusted company.
It would really be no skin off their nose.

There are a lot of Bushcrafters and outdoors enthusiasts that use their products......myself included.

@Ark had the exact same issue a while back and they exchanged his.......he did have the receipt though.....I think?

Might be worth mentioning the "Life In The Wilderness Forum" and let them know the issue is being discussed.....mention Marks problem to them.
With a bit of help from the powers that be (Sussi) you would think the exchange could be made.

Good luck......keep trying........and I would leave trying to re edge the Axe yourself as the last resort......warranty in mind!

It would be very disappointing if they could not help you out.

Last edited:
Back