• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ridgeline monsoon elite 2

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried one of these jackets? I'd be interested in your thoughts if you have...I never know how much to trust the written reviews.

Very nice, I've always liked ventile cotton but you don't see it all that often these days, it's old school outdoor gear.
I can't find any hydro rating for the fabric though and where I live I need the maximum waterproof capabilities a jacket can give but I hate buying plastic....the weather up here can get through the soldier'95 waterproofs in minutes anyway.

Can't help you there. Maybe contact the company if you've a mind.
I'm lucky these days, I've no need for the best of clothing for the worst weather anymore. If it's crap outside, I don't to go out.;) Old age has one or two advantages.:lol:

barbour used to do one in the lightweight waxed cotton before they got all trendy and mainstream. I had one but it wore out...this is decades ago.

I have a ridgeline - no complaints here - no really serious waterproof jacket is going to be as breathable as standard fabric but I think the ridge line is exceptional.

I currently use a rather nice sprayway I got for Christmas.
What's it like? I'm always interested in other people'kit and their way of doing things...
...I mean, this smock is great in the hills but not exactly 'grey man'...as soon as you hit a town it sticks out like a sore thumb where something more mainstream would not.

What's it like? I'm always interested in other people'kit and their way of doing things...
...I mean, this smock is great in the hills but not exactly 'grey man'...as soon as you hit a town it sticks out like a sore thumb where something more mainstream would not.
You'll want to double it up with a jacket for cold weather but its pretty water proof and keeps the wind out.

Ventile is great material and ideal for cold, dry, windy weather but when they get wet and soaked in rain it goes as stiff as cardboard, heavy and its a bugger to dry.

Not sure about that anorak sticking out like a sore thumb in this day and age though ystranc with 'outdoor' fashion being so popular with folk who've perhaps never camped out or set foot on the hills.

I've always preferred either waxed or ventile cotton though and it fits with my ethos of minimising plastics.

I have none but a good friend and seasond woodsman of mine does have the Ridgeline Monsoon. He was especially pleased with the mm/H2O, I guess it can handle the 5000 if I remember correctly.
The material is very breathable, he said.

Has anyone tried one of these jackets? I'd be interested in your thoughts if you have...I never know how much to trust the written reviews.

Hi Ystranc.

Yes, and they have had extensive use in all conditions for bushcraft/wild camping and in the field hunting.
Tried the cheaper in the range they do......but found they sweat badly inside......would stay well away from them!

The Elite 11, however, is very nice indeed.

Plentiful underarm ventilation velcro flaps and zipped.
Adjustable hood.........zip on........ zip off.
Huge breast pocket.
Waterproof zips.
Neoprene cuffs.....adjustable.
Waist drawcord.

Although just an outer shell..........with good layering beneath.....it can cope with just about anything.
I have the smock and the jacket types and think I would have a struggle to change them for something else.

My two penneth........good item and worth the money :thumbsup:

Thank you very much indeed for you two penneth OSW:thumbsup: I already have the Alan Paine smock but I'm getting so much wear out of it the Mrs has said to get another smock/jacket (as long as it isn't tweed) so far the only issue that I have with the Alan Paine jacket is that I needed to add short tags to the Zips to be able to use them wearing gloves...a tiny modification but one that I shouldn't really have to make.

Back