• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ridgelines

CaveDweller

Staff member
Do any of the tarp users out there bother with 'pre-rigged' ridgelines, or do you knock something up on the fly? Up to now I've never bothered with anything pre-arranged, I've just tied something on site, and it's always been a variation of evenk hitch / siberian hitch on one end, trucker's hitch on the other, a couple of prussiks and some bits of twig picked up as I go.

Recently, I came across Dave Canterbury's ridgeline videos on YouTube and figured I'd give it a go, and I have to say it's quite a time saver, especially if the UK weather's a bit ropey ('scuse the pun!) and you need cover in a hurry. It's very quick, and easy to work with even if you're knackered. One of his multiple videos on the subject is here: Simple ridgeline

I put this together the other night and tried it yesterday, it turns out I really like it so I thought I'd share. I may swap the prussiks for soft shackles at some point, and I'm not sure paracord is the best option, but it works great. Anyone else got a ridgeline arrangement they like?

ridgeline.jpg

Cheers, I was actually surprised how quick it is compared to tying a new one each time, it makes a big difference.
My ridgeline is permanently fitted through the tabs on my tarp so putting it up takes no time at all. No fancy knots just a couple of turns round the tree and a slippery hitch
I have prussics at either end of the line close to the tarp and just use a couple of 6 inch bunjees to pull tarp taught. The prussics also act as drip lines

Back