• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

SHADOWcompany83

Quite Talkative
I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have a Chinese Westlake .22 177 Caliber Westlake spring loaded air rifle.

a few months ago I had a rat issue in my garden, so decided to dispose of them myself. I loaded the rifle and tried to close the barrel, but it wouldn’t close. Is it possible I can attach a photo so people can see the problem?

thanks

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Why don't you take a minute to introduce yourself in the Welcome section?

Attach a photo by all means -- click on "attach files" at bottom left of the post editing screen, then pick your photo.

Is it .22 or .177? You mentioned both calibres...

76570342-5D24-445E-A19F-9A1EC31CC867.jpeg

From the rust I'd hazard a guess that a linkage has seized up somewhere.
Strip it down and give it some tlc, give it a home tune while you've got it in bits. Can't hurt.
I don’t know how to strip it. I’ve had it roughly 10 years and it’s been perfect until about a year ago. It’s only rusty as I lost my patience with it and left it in the garden for a month in the middle of winter. I’m terrified to strip it in case I can’t put it back together lol

I don’t know how to strip it. I’ve had it roughly 10 years and it’s been perfect until about a year ago. It’s only rusty as I lost my patience with it and left it in the garden for a month in the middle of winter. I’m terrified to strip it in case I can’t put it back together lol
Left it in the garden for a month!:eek:
I don't mean to sound rude but I don't think anyone can help you if you treat your rifle like that.
It's buggered to be blunt.

Left it in the garden for a month!:eek:
I don't mean to sound rude but I don't think anyone can help you if you treat your rifle like that.
It's buggered to be blunt.
It packed up before I left it in the garden. I didn’t mean to leave it so long, I lost a family member just a couple of days after leaving it outside, hence why it was so long. If I can’t get any help from anyone here, where can I find instructions to strip and rebuild it? I want to use it again, so I’ll have to do it myself

Sorry to hear of your loss.
The best thing you can do is take it to a gunsmith, that's if you're prepared to spend money on it.
They will have the knowledge on that particular rifle and how to strip it.
I'm sure there's many a folk here who know how to strip springers and will be along to help.
Like it was said earlier, it's the rust that's the issue and needs to be cleaned off and then re-blued which will cost money to get a proper job done. If it's not re-blued then it'll only rust again as steel is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.
Rich

If its of no great sentimental value, and without wishing to appear rude or snobbish, it's a westlake heathen chinee cheapo. You can't really take any more value off it, 😕
Have a look on tubeyou there will be plenty of vids I should think.
To be honest it's a good gun to cut your tinkering teath on as like I said it ain't going to lose any more value, its not working atm so you've naught to lose.
Also look at smk as they are same guns different supplier, or sumat like that.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
The best thing you can do is take it to a gunsmith, that's if you're prepared to spend money on it.
They will have the knowledge on that particular rifle and how to strip it.
I'm sure there's many a folk here who know how to strip springers and will be along to help.
Like it was said earlier, it's the rust that's the issue and needs to be cleaned off and then re-blued which will cost money to get a proper job done. If it's not re-blued then it'll only rust again as steel is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.
Rich
Ok so I got it stripped, oiled and reassembled. Only issue now is, it won’t lock into place when I cock it. Any ideas there?

The sear locks it when cocked if its had 10 years untouched then that needs to come out and be degunked ,again you tube is your friend .Take apart clean with parafin/kerosene pat dry ,relube with a suitable light grease but only a smidge as you dont wont to ruin the bore with too much .You may find this does the do or it may be correded so it doesnt make contact and the thing needs replacing atb and good luck

If you live in Norfeck near Swaffham I would love to have a look Bruce.
What is your name Bruce, can't call you number 83.
Call me Willie if you like, he was my favourite Dog.

Broken Filangy most likely.

Last edited:
With the stock off does the gun cock and the fire a pellet successfully?
Please don't discharge a springer with no pellet in. You will damage the gun even more.
If it only works with the stock off I'd say you haven't put it back together correctly and the mechanism it catching the stock some where.

When it packed up, I was unable to cock it. I cleaned it and reassembled it and it still wouldn’t cock. It’s almost as if someone has moved the locking position almost to the trigger. So I cut away some of the stock. It now cocks with the stock attached, I just need to smooth it off and give it a sand, then hopefully it will be in good working order. Getting a new .303 soon, can’t wait lol

Sounds like the spring might have been binding. If a spring becomes S-shaped, it can sometimes foul the inside of the compression chamber or the sear assembly. If the rear end of the spring was coil-bound (i.e. the coils compressed together so they won't open up) then the sear may not have been able to engage. Did the spring look twisted or compressed at one end when you took it apart?

Back