• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

RIP Wally

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Hi folks,

Just a quick post in the 'survival' section. But might be a mis-post.

About four days ago we heard on the grapevine about a missing dog in our district, Wally. I never met Wally and indeed have never met the owner although we have exchanged emails.

Wally was a staffy, unkindly described to me by another neighbour as 'a fat little barrel on short legs'.

The owners are newly moved to our area and their camp is about 12km from ours, down in the low country.

I contacted them yesterday enquiring if Wally had come home yet. I was thinking if not, The Boy and I should go down to assist with the search.

They told me Wally's little body had been found not far from their camp, presumably gored and partly eaten by a boar.

I'm interested by this news. I know pigs will hunt and kill small animals but have never heard of one killing a dog (other than pig hunting dogs that get run through by a tusk). I'm curious to know what the owner found and how they differentiated a pig kill from a large feral cat or dingo pack...

RIP Wally

Alan

Poor old "Wally"R.I.P :(.....feel for keepers too.

If the little chap was a bit porky and unfit I doubt he was able to fight or flight :(
If he was gored maybe he bled out and some other critter fed on him......hopefully after he had passed?
Did the Boys owner actually see the Boar feeding on him Al?

Poor old "Wally"R.I.P :(.....feel for keepers too.

If the little chap was a bit porky and unfit I doubt he was able to fight or flight :(
If he was gored maybe he bled out and some other critter fed on him......hopefully after he had passed?
Did the Boys owner actually see the Boar feeding on him Al?

Not sure yet Bill

I've been wondering along the same lines as you. There's plenty around here that would kill and eat a staffy, so why do Wally's family assume it was a pig? Its totally possible, but not common and wouldn't have been my first guess.

I'm assuming there's something about what they found that suggested a pig. Maybe they saw it or found pig trotter prints around the body... Either way im interested to speak with them and learn more...

Alan

Apparently 90% of a feral wild boarā€™s diet is plant based but they will eat carrion if there is an opportunity, even cannibalising another wild boar. They are more likely to be opportunistic feeders rather than killing to eat (ie. not usually hunters) but if Wally killed by something else or was perceived as a threat, caught by a sounder and killed they may well have eaten part of him.

Last edited:
Back