• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Risky kit...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
I've bought an American sleeping bag which was delivered this afternoon. I was hoping to use it but there are labels on it which say... " This tag must not be removed... under penalty of law" and another label which states..." WARNING...Cancer and reproductive harm"

I've locked it in the shed...:rofl:...:rofl:

It's a Kelty, Bop. I've never owned any of their gear before but this is rated -7 C, a fraction over 3 lbs and was just under £60. I know they make a lot of US back packing gear and reviews were not unfavourable, so as it was in a sale I went for it.

The labels are to comply with California State legislation. The have completely lost the plot in CA I believe, everything carries a Cancer warning and I heard that they have just banned the sale of new small petrol engines and all devices using such engines. Small shops stocked with Lawn Mowers, Chain Saws, Generators are stuck with unsellable stock. Not happy bunnies I suspect. In a US State wracked by fires where chain saws are needed for clearance work I'm amazed that the Snowflakes put this law into effect.

Nothing like a slow progress to electricity 🤷🏼‍♂️ Sheet they’ve jumped right in with that one …. Who thinks of these things 👎

It's a Kelty, Bop. I've never owned any of their gear before but this is rated -7 C, a fraction over 3 lbs and was just under £60. I know they make a lot of US back packing gear and reviews were not unfavourable, so as it was in a sale I went for it.

The labels are to comply with California State legislation. The have completely lost the plot in CA I believe, everything carries a Cancer warning and I heard that they have just banned the sale of new small petrol engines and all devices using such engines. Small shops stocked with Lawn Mowers, Chain Saws, Generators are stuck with unsellable stock. Not happy bunnies I suspect. In a US State wracked by fires where chain saws are needed for clearance work I'm amazed that the Snowflakes put this law into effect.
That's coz they need the snow(flakes) to dowse the fires......................:confused:

I believe their thinking was to make people change to portable battery powered tools, that's fine but the other problem California has apparently is increasingly irregular power shortages and total cuts in some areas. How you recharge various tools without power or increasing the general demand for power baffles me.
Imagine several million Gardeners plugging their Lawn Mowers into the system on a Saturday evening ready for the Sunday morning lawn session.....:lol:...:lol:

• Haha
Reactions: lol
Risking the wrath of Californian law makers and 99 years in San Quentin, I've cut the labels from the sleeping bag. I've noted that the manufacturers deny all responsibility if while using their product I suffocate, set fire to myself, freeze to death or catch Cancer and that the product complies with all the ( current) safety laws of the State of California.

If you look closely you can see where the dire warnings were sewn into the seams of the bag. :lol:
DSC00833.JPG

:lol: It's their -20 F Tuck model, Rob. The label shows 3lb 2ozs, the specs show 3lb 11 ozs . I haven't got a scale accurate enough to trust. It's synthetic fill and polyester material, made in China, feels reasonable quality.

Not sure if that link will work

That strange zip configuration is what made me look at it Mike. I've got sleeping bags that go down to silly temperatures and others for Summer, but I wanted something for if temperatures went all unseasonable, and that zip looks like heat regulation should be easier.

Back