• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Robens Fairbanks tent.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Been pondering for a while with regards to buying a Polycotton tent.
Some of my larger tarps are Polycotton and I can't fault them for strength and quality.......I just like the material.
A good balance between nylon and canvas.

What actually spurred me on to buying one is the up and coming Scotland trip in February 2019.
I intend to use a heater in the tent which has ample ventilation.

It has a very nice sized vestibule to use for cooking if needed.........although I will more than likely add a small lightweight tarp to extend the admin area......as I did with the Lux Megahorn II.
It has a good sized living area with sewn in groundsheet.........will sort out a footprint for it asRobens do not supply one.......which is a shame but no biggy.

The tent I got is the 2018 model that does not have the black opening/closing vent at the top.....it will not be used with a woodburning stove.

Robens carry out some quite extensive tests on their tents with regards to wind and rain.........the tent stands up to both elements.

Going to put it up and get some more detailed pictures of it and look forward to giving it a full review after the Scotland trip.

Been pondering for a while with regards to buying a Polycotton tent.
Some of my larger tarps are Polycotton and I can't fault them for strength and quality.......I just like the material.
A good balance between nylon and canvas.

What actually spurred me on to buying one is the up and coming Scotland trip in February 2019.
I intend to use a heater in the tent which has ample ventilation.

It has a very nice sized vestibule to use for cooking if needed.........although I will more than likely add a small lightweight tarp to extend the admin area......as I did with the Lux Megahorn II.
It has a good sized living area with sewn in groundsheet.........will sort out a footprint for it asRobens do not supply one.......which is a shame but no biggy.

The tent I got is the 2018 model that does not have the black opening/closing vent at the top.....it will not be used with a woodburning stove.

Robens carry out some quite extensive tests on their tents with regards to wind and rain.........the tent stands up to both elements.

Going to put it up and get some more detailed pictures of it and look forward to giving it a full review after the Scotland trip.

That's me travelling up on the roof rack again then ! :rolleyes:;)

If you need it I have some reinforced plastic sheets you can make a footprint from. 4 metres by 3 metres.

Thank you Dick kind offer mate.:thumbsup:

I have some rubber-like material from an old tent that I am going to use.....similar to the old German issue ponchos.........tough stuff:thumbsup:

Morning Markus :)

Cheers me dear:thumbsup:

Just waiting for the dew on the grass to dry in the sun.
Going to get out the back and put the tent up for the first time.
Got to say it made me chuckle when the guy in the video said he thinks one person can pitch this tent in 3 to 5 minutes......yeah right:rofl:
With practice and getting familiar with the tent.....if, I can get it to within 10 minutes or below ( about the same time as the Megahorn II ).........I will be happy with that.
It is not going to be as quick as the Slumit that's for sure:D
Will take some pictures when it is up.....there are not many pictures that show the space inside very well or within the vestibule when closed.......so will be interesting to see how it fares.

Morning gov:D

Looking forward to seeing it bill. 10 min is not so bad mate for what your getting afterwards. Add the tarp for the admin area and it’s sweet as cake :thumbsup:

Well......I'm aiming at 10 minutes Mark :whistle: all very well on the grass in the sunshine with no wind howling or rain/snow lashing down :rofl:
But....in that kind of situation, it would pay to team up and help your buddy......and verse visa.
At least there is only ONE pole to think about:thumbsup:

I will be making some Snow Anchors for it.....just in case:whistle:........using some plastic plumbers 20/30mm pipe.
Don't want to be searching around for sticks to make them in fading light or bad weather.
Already have some steel nail pegs for rocky/hard ground that will go in the bag.

Sorted the footprint out......... it's an old rubberised sheet that will do the job nicely.

DSC03296.JPG

I want to sort out a light for the inside as well.
Most that you find today are the harsh white light LEDs........I would like to find somthing more mellow.........will have a few Tea Lights as back up.

So it's all going on at the moment...........I would like to get everything sorted before the wet and windy weather sets in.

Work in progress :D

Last edited:
Practice makes perfect my good man:thumbsup: the more I watch that video the more a like the tent bill. Spot on.......am planning on meeting everyone at the car park at avimore So if all goes to plan a should be there when your putting it up....so I will stand back and watch you do it:sneaky::rofl:

Nice buy, look forward to pictures and a report :)

Hi Al.

Thanks for the feedback and interest mate ;):thumbsup:

Just been out and checked the grass.....still wet :rolleyes:
The first comments will be from a first look point of view.......but I will follow up with a more detailed review after it has been tried/tested and lived in for a week in Scotland.
After which....... fairer and honest opinions can be shared.:thumbsup:

Practice makes perfect my good man:thumbsup: the more I watch that video the more a like the tent bill. Spot on.......am planning on meeting everyone at the car park at avimore So if all goes to plan a should be there when your putting it up....so I will stand back and watch you do it:sneaky::rofl:

Stand and watch :eek:.....well THANK YOU, Mark, :sneaky::D

Good to know I can rely on your help in adversity......ye ken. :p:D

GIT!!! :p:D

If you get "blown out".....DONT come to me........ a knocking on my door wanting to share :sneaky::sneaky:

Well....the grass is dry enough now.....so a quick coffee and I will be out there for the first pitch of the tent.
Been pondering over the Footprint.

The tents sewn in groundsheet does not need an edge to edge cover.........I will fold back the Footprint at least a foot around the edges......I am loathed to cut it.....but then again:whistle::D
This will help to prevent water from collecting and pooling in between the two layers and causing nuisance and problems from runoff.

Must remember to add a peg puller to the kit.....might struggle with cold hands and frozen ground to get them out again:rofl:

The first pitch of the tent went very well......Should have timed it....but I had the lot up in about 20minutes I reckon.
With more practice and now that I am familiar with the tent I reckon I can get that down to 10 minutes no problem.
Packing away was much quicker.

The bag the tent is packed in is very well made and has the useful option of two large hand carrying handles........as well as an adjustable shoulder strap.....which allows for carrying and leaving your hands free to move other pieces of kit.
The webbing and buckles are quality.
The bag is also a sensible size.....so when packed tidily the tent slips in with no struggles.

DSC03297.JPG

DSC03298.JPG

Footprint spread out.....and the contents of the tent bag placed on top.

DSC03299.JPG

The tentpole and the pegs have their own separate bags.......and again quality material and well made.

DSC03300.JPG

The tent spread out and sat on top of the footprint.

DSC03301.JPG

Made the tent ready to accept the pole and lift the canopy.

DSC03302.JPG

The aluminium pole comes with two plastic protective end caps held in place with an elastic bungee.

What did impress me was the wall thickness of the pole.....very good.

DSC03303.JPG

There are two attachments that fit onto the pole.....one rubber one to protect the cone material of the tent at the top.....along with one
metal one for the floor to anchor the pole in place while sat in its velcro retaining strap that is sewn onto the bathtub groundsheet wall.

DSC03304.JPG

DSC03305.JPG

Pegged around the perimeter and up it went with ease.
Then set about pegging the guy lines to tighten up the tent.

Got to say the pegs supplied with the tent are next to useless and made from cheap aluminium....they bent and twisted with very little effort.
Such a shame and not at all what you would expect from a tent in the price range and stable.......disappointed with that.
So I will be replacing ALL of the pegs for stronger and better quality ones that I can rely upon and have confidence in.

DSC03306.JPG

DSC03307.JPG

DSC03308.JPG

The Winged doors that make up the vestibule offer plenty of space for cooking and storing kit if you need too.
They could be held out with walking poles to offer more room and act as windbreaks.

DSC03309.JPG

There is plenty of room inside.....and yes you could fit 4 people in there.....but three would be comfortable I think.
For me, on my own, and some kit...... it is more than ample.
I have no doubt that I can get a low chair and table in there if I wanted too.
The bathtub sewn in groundsheet is made from strong and quality material.
The small sidewalls offer a fair clearance all around.........and in the back wall there is a zip operated ventilation flap.
I am able to stand up at the front of the tent.....so getting dressed and undressed won't be an issue.
Not much of a stoop to walk in through the door.

DSC03310.JPG

DSC03313.JPG

DSC03314.JPG

More vents at the top of the canopy.

DSC03315.JPG

Looking from inside the tent into the good sized vestibule area.

DSC03316.JPG

Zipped vent in the back wall.....very handy.

DSC03317.JPG

The tent also has net doors as well as storm doors inside.....great for warm summer days or good to batton down in a storm.
The outer door closes off the vestibule area nicely and offers increased protection from the elements.
Zips are all good quality and work with ease.

DSC03319.JPG

The pole in its retaining strap.....no fear of it moving about.

DSC03320.JPG

All done and packed away for now.
The large adjustable handles mean I can leave the Footprint attached to the tent bag and ready to put down before I open up the tent bag and erect the tent.

To sum up for now and first impressions.
More than happy with the purchase and quality of the tent...EXCEPT for the naff tent pegs......they really do let down the package......and Robens.
This tent is going to be a pleasure to use and camp in......... Winter.....or Summer.

No doubt I will get out there and have another practice so I have it off to a fine art pitching and dismantling.

I have some Robens adjustable poles that I use for the tarp shelter.....these will come in handy to use when I try out the extended Adin area.

So.....there it is for now......first thoughts........I will add some more pictures when I play again and add on the Tarp to the setup.

Back