• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Robens Fairbanks tent.

I thought you were unhappy with the zip arrangement while having the pole outside.
Merely saying that the pole COULD go inside if the zips annoyed you that much.

I thought you were unhappy with the zip arrangement while having the pole outside.
Merely saying that the pole COULD go inside if the zips annoyed you that much.

:rofl:......no, no, no! Far from it....that's one of the reasons I prefer it to the Gelert!!
(but thank you:whistle:)

Just bought a 10T 4x4 polycotton tarp to use with mine....we'll see about the tarp when it arrives, but comes with poles/lines and pegs...of sorts, I expect:evileye:

ONE SHOT WILLIE
Have you used the Robens Fairbanks yet? I'm afraid mine didn't get used this summer, but the lavvu had a lot, of use, the Gelert Navajo (which I now am having to sell!!) a little and the bell tent, a lot!!

MATT
What about your 3m bell tent????

Hi Lol.

No mate not this Summer.
It's first proper use will be in Scotland in February.
But then again that could change.

Scotland in Feb is some serious stuff......?

I would say "challenging"..........it only becomes serious if you are not prepared and kitted out properly :thumbsup:
We are going as a group, not as individuals.........safety in numbers....we will be looking out for each other.

We love ours although it’s the older version which has the vent flaps rather than vent shroud.
The flaps are more hassle especially in unpredictable weather as it wouldn’t be advisable to leave them open and leave the tent if it’s going to rain. The advantage though is when open it provides very good through ventilation and the sky can be seen through the insect mesh as can stars in suitable conditions.
We use a perforated ground sheet which is over sized but not a problem as rain will pass through the holes and inside we use foam clip together perforated squares. We have a Robens 3x3 tarp which we set and call the mess tent that we use as a covered seating/cooking area. Pleased
with our set up after downsizing from a large Robens tunnel tent which had too many poles and took too long to set up and dismantle.
E0CB0D9D-2F0E-4F78-A144-16B6312A71B1.jpeg

I too love my (later version) Fairbanks, and the very similar Gelert Navajo 4 I had as well for a short time. I was however a little confused as to why one would use a perforated groundsheet when the tent comes with a perfectly good sig?
If referring to a (the one in the photo?) footprint , again I got lost on squares and holes?

Indeed a lovely tent and looks a great set up in the photo 👍

Very remiss of me, as I didn't realise that you were new to the Forum........be very welcome here, I 've found an almost boundless source of good humour and constructive help here...………….

(Ok that's a fiver each from you all...……... :evileye: )

I too love my (later version) Fairbanks, and the very similar Gelert Navajo 4 I had as well for a short time. I was however a little confused as to why one would use a perforated groundsheet when the tent comes with a perfectly good sig?
If referring to a (the one in the photo?) footprint , again I got lost on squares and holes?

Indeed a lovely tent and looks a great set up in the photo 👍
Thanks for the welcome.
A lot of campsites now insist on ventilated/perforated grounds sheets/awning floor coverings mainly to save the grass which it certainly helps with, after 7 day stay just recently the grass was slightly yellow and thats all. It also stops the SIG getting dirty and improves the feel inside the tent. As everyone probably knows a solid ground sheet has to be tucked under the SIG or rain can get between SIG and ground sheet, not good. Any over hang with the perforated type not really an issue as the rain will just go through. Ours was for a much larger tunnel tent originally so I have kept it the same size and double it up, its large enough folded so it gives the the non SIG area at the front of the Faifbanks a nice "carpet" ( with may or may not be to everyone's taste and prefer to see the grass) we then use two of those soft foam clip together panels to make a route to the inner door to make clambering in/out easier and a few more inside to provide a bit of extra comfort. Each trip we make I have come back and made further "refinements" which my Wife thinks has turned into an obsession!

Hi Snowy :)

Nice set up and tent mate.....I can see the reasoning behind the perforated ground sheet....good idea :thumbsup:

Please could you say Hi and introduce yourself in the Welcome section.
This will give members the chance to welcome you properly........also gives you the opportunity to tell us a bit about yourself.....cheers:thumbsup:

Found this photo of the doorway showing the perforated ground sheet and foam squares.

Attachments

• 565641DA-0464-433D-A6EB-FEBB0F97C8E3.jpeg
    565641DA-0464-433D-A6EB-FEBB0F97C8E3.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 164
Thanks for the welcome.
A lot of campsites now insist on ventilated/perforated grounds sheets/awning floor coverings mainly to save the grass which it certainly helps with, after 7 day stay just recently the grass was slightly yellow and thats all. It also stops the SIG getting dirty and improves the feel inside the tent. As everyone probably knows a solid ground sheet has to be tucked under the SIG or rain can get between SIG and ground sheet, not good. Any over hang with the perforated type not really an issue as the rain will just go through. Ours was for a much larger tunnel tent originally so I have kept it the same size and double it up, its large enough folded so it gives the the non SIG area at the front of the Faifbanks a nice "carpet" ( with may or may not be to everyone's taste and prefer to see the grass) we then use two of those soft foam clip together panels to make a route to the inner door to make clambering in/out easier and a few more inside to provide a bit of extra comfort. Each trip we make I have come back and made further "refinements" which my Wife thinks has turned into an obsession!

Ah!, now, as the "Topic" bear once said, I understand.....
It read like you had cut the groundsheet out or something!! I had never heard of a perforated footprint, for the footprint? until now. :)

This makes at least 3 Fairbanks owners here, and at least 1 Navajo 4 (too similar to separate)…………..;)

...unless anyone says different??

Back