• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Roe Bucks.

Big Red

Quite Addicted
Anyone been out on the Roe Bucks?

I have had a couple early on, but have not managed to get out for a week or two due to obtaining some ground for my Wild camping/Bushcraft, which has needed some clearing. We are stuffed with deer in these here parts, saw 27 Roe and 12 Red on one trip.......Happy days. 👍

Been Stalking for a few years now, did my DSC in 2008. I don’t know how many Deer I have accounted for, but not that many really, I guess a 100 over the years, so around 5 a year on average. Red Stag and Hinds, Fallow Bucks and Does and Roe Bucks and Does, looking at Sika later in the year. We are so lucky here in Devon, I genuinely believe we have the vest Stalking in the U.K.........I am very bias though.

It all goes in the freezer, we both love venison and have some good friends who are keen as well. Nothing more humbling than hunting, dispatching, preparing and eating your quarry, be it Deer, Rabbits or fish etc. 👍👍

My avatar pic was taken by a friend on the Moor, about 5 miles from my property. What a fine lowland Stag!

I had been planning to do my DSC last year but with a view to hunting feral wild boar rather than deer, God only knows why but it is the nearest equivalent qualification even though deer and piggies are anatomically and behaviourally completely different, the season rules don't apply...in fact absolutely no reason to insist on a DSC 1 but most places do.

I had been planning to do my DSC last year but with a view to hunting feral wild boar rather than deer, God only knows why but it is the nearest equivalent qualification even though deer and piggies are anatomically and behaviourally completely different, the season rules don't apply...in fact absolutely no reason to insist on a DSC 1 but most places do.
I agree, the DSC seems irrelevant if your only after pigs, we got them here, but I have never known an animal be able to simply disappear. Mature Stags aside.

Never shot one, but have eaten some locally shot..........Amongst the best meat I have ever tasted! 😋😋

I used to know an old chap called Felix, he was German and a language professor here in the UK. He had been hunting boar all his adult life and was bloody good at it. We had a few cuts off meat off him (wild boar that is, not Felix) and as you say, it was delicious.

Last edited:
Back