• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
The Rosellas have found the service berries, this is the first year it has fruited. I got all the ripe berries in, desert tonight:) Anyone got a recipe for Rosella? All the ones I have say add a rock, boil until the rock is soft, then throw out the parrot!
Keith.
Rosella_REDUCED.jpg

we've got a service tree at the back of us but unfortunately its in someone else's garden!!

Ma cousin use to breed rosellas. Noisy things lol. Didn’t know you could eat them?

Ma cousin use to breed rosellas. Noisy things lol. Didn’t know you could eat them?
Most animals can be eaten, & in a survival situation it will probably be first come first served, but as Crocodile Dundee once said " ...Well, you can live on it, but it taste like shit". To date I have not tasted parrot though, I have that experience to come.

not exactly the same but my grandma used to breed and show budgies.
Budgies are parrots. I remember the first time I saw a flock of budgies, I was heading out bush from Perth WA for my first job of work in Australia. This flock flew across the road right in front of me. The only budgies I had seen up to that time were in cages. It was amazing. Just after that some wild boar crossed the road, the first I had ever seen. The rest of my life over here has been one big adventure:) & I am not finished yet;)
Keith.

I have never seen a wild boar although they are everywhere these days.
I've seen plenty of deer though and they are everywhere too.

I have never seen a wild boar although they are everywhere these days.
I've seen plenty of deer though and they are everywhere too.
One of my sons & granddaughter saw some fallow deer in our forest the other day. Wild boar are always around here, they dig up our grass flats occasionally, makes a real mess.
Keith.

I've seen the mess that wild boar leave behind, a hotel lawn was ripped to pieces but I've never seen one in the flesh.....yet.
we see deer nearly every time we go out, especially around here.

Should make a good meal for one:D
View attachment 204
Not much there once you pluck it.
The largest wild parrots we have round here are the King Parrots.
25_11_13_Parrot_3.jpg

A male & a female. The male landed next to me in the garden & asked for food, so I fed it, then the female arrived for a feed too! I do not feed birds, though I used to feed Red Browed Finches in winter years ago up at the cottage. I used to leave the front door of the cottage open & birds used to visit. Scrub Wrens would sit on my knee when I was reading or sit on my note pad when I was writing. Occasionally one would leave its mark on the note pad & if it was a letter, I had to arrow it & explain what it was!!! Got to love the wildlife. Had a Raven save me one time.
Keith.

Probably right Keith lol. He will do for a snack lol

Nice picture :thumbsup:

Back