• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Rule of Thumb ESTIMATE DISTANCE - David Canterbury

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Found this interesting. I'll need to try it in metric though. Why do Americans still use the outdated imperial system? lol

You way well ask!! The problem is that they do not even use the Imperial system, they'd declared UDI before Britain introduced the Imperial System to standardise measurements throughout the Empire. So their pint is 16 floz and ours is 20 floz making their gallon different. Take comfort from the fact that at least their mile is the same as ours. šŸ˜†

Yeah, using quarts and cups for volume and quoting the thrust of Apollo Saturn V rockets in millions of pounds makes my head hurt. It's a bit of a messed up system over the pond, and (as an engineer) harder to do maths with.

The recent push to restore imperial measurements in the UK confused me. No pub has ever insisted that I order my beer in metric measures, I don't see the problem.

Back